Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   38 top gun vs. 42 lightning (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/258236-38-top-gun-vs-42-lightning.html)

wlwaldock 07-18-2011 04:51 PM

I feel like this depends on the specific boats in question. There are certainly top guns I would take over 42 lightenings, and certainly 42 lightnings I would take over top guns. I love cigarettes and I believe they are a better boat overall no question, but if money is important you can def steal a nice 42 fountain if you play your cards right

AJ POWERPLAY 07-18-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Drock78 (Post 3455783)
Cigs hold their value better than a fountain too...something else to consider

May want to consider this... even tho the cig is selling for more money now than the fountain, it also cost way above and beyond when it was new. I think if you looked at it from a percentage loss off of total price you may find it to be the other way around

MILD THUNDER 07-18-2011 05:04 PM

Everyone keeps talking about lengths. There are far more variables in what makes a good running boat. #1 is the driver. Hull design, balance, staggard or side by side, drives (a #6 boat is gonna be different than a bravo boat), engine power, and so on.

Id put a single engine 28 pantera up against some boats 4-5ft longer in rough seas.

My honest opinion, take a comparable powered 38 cig, and a 38 or 42 fountain, and run them in rough water, who gets to the card stop first will depend on the driver. My boat can go from riding like a turd in rough water to skimming smoothly across the tops of the swells, depending on how "I" run the boat.

In this market there are some great deals. If you had a number in mind to spend, i would factor in the power package, trailer, and let the numbers make your choice. If you had a choice of a 525/xr gun, vs a 700/nxt fountain, for the same dollar, go for the better power package. Either boat is a killer ride.

Baja555 07-18-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER (Post 3455044)
And why don't you care for fountains? Is it because you have been spoiled by the superior quality and performance of powerquest?

It always amazes me how many people bash and hate fountains. I had someone who I know, this weekend,tell me how i would be better off with a different brand, as anything would be better than a fountain. And this came from someone who had their boat repoed, and is boatless.

Go for a ride in a nicely powered 42 stagger lightning, in some rough water and run hard. Tell me if it feels 3' shorter than a 38 top gun.

My buddy who owns a cigarette, said the only reason you see a lot of fountains is because Reggie flooded the market. Umm, ok. Sure. :party-smiley-004:

He's right .. the market has been flooded with fountains.. just look in the classified section, there's over a hundred for sale..I' m not a founatin fan myself... they are fast and build quality is very good.. but a 42 is actually about 37 ft of boat.. I guess it is faster than a real 42fter. they ride terrible in my opinion unless the water is flat.. A cig and fountain with the same power and setup ,,, cig is going to handle rough water better , but the fountain will be faster..Both nice boats, but I wouldnt buy either..

redbud35 07-18-2011 07:07 PM

This is another peker run thread. He posted the same question on MWBP under the screen name topgun38.

Interceptor 07-18-2011 07:28 PM

Fountain is shorter, Cigarette is longer.

Bigt F'n deal. Mine's got a toilet.
ed

caferacer 07-18-2011 07:54 PM

raceboat ...Fountain
pleasureboat ...Cigarette
period No need for discussion

On Time 07-19-2011 12:05 PM

I bought a Fountain after several trips out on friends' boats, a 2002 42 Lightning w/ 575's and Bmax drives who used to race w/ Martin Sanborn. A 2009 39 Cig with 525's. Both are staggered.

Price - Fountain

Ride - slow same, cruise same, fast Fountain (like on rails)

Less wind in your face at speed for a 6 footer - Fountain

Top speed per hp or engine size - Fountain

Cabin - Cig (but I haven't gained so much that I can't get into and use the adequate cabin in my 42)

"Dryness" of ride in cross wind -Cig

Easier to work on - Fountain

Factory graphics - Cig (until recently)

Resale % of purchase price - Fountain (so I've heard)

US1 Fountain 07-19-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by redbud35 (Post 3455942)
This is another peker run thread. He posted the same question on MWBP under the screen name topgun38.

So he ask between a 38 Cig and a 42 fountain using topgun38 on 1 site and 42 lightning user names here?

Interesting. Guessing he owns neither.