Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/258284-how-much-%24%24-get-you-interested-poker-run.html)

BBB725 07-18-2011 01:55 PM

I just ran in Boyne Thunder 2 weeks ago entry was $650, a group of the boaters there got together and said if the winners donated 100% of the prize money back they had got pledges from about 20 people to donate an additional $8000 to the charity. I don't run in events for the pay out, it's all about the location for me. I trailered 375 miles to Boyne Thunder and have trailered 1500 miles for the Key West Poker run.

cigrocket 07-18-2011 02:50 PM

Some reason my cards never match and they never have faces....lol. Prize money doesn't attract the boats.....Location, Weather, Party, Music, Drinks, and Food. Helicotpter or pro photos also help. Prize money would be the lowest on the list. Gas bill for most twin boats and tow vehicle are close to $1000+ for the event anyway plus registration, rooms, food drinks.

anewway 07-18-2011 03:10 PM

I prefer the payout to be at least $1500-$2000 or so depending on the entry fee. Like everyone else, I don't go to them to win any money, but if I ever did get lucky, I would want it to at least pay for the weekend. :)

So far I've only gone to ones that are close enough for a day trip, so my estimate of paying for the weekend is probably a bit low by most folks standards.

Griff 07-18-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3455456)
If your in it for the prize money you should find something else to do. In the run I did a week ago 1/2 the winners simply donated the prize back to the charity the event was for.
also, a $250 entry for a boat/captain/mate will not yeild prizes like that....not if they intend to donate to a charity and those are the only runs worth entering anymore (IMO).

One local run here covers 90 miles each way and has a dinner Fri and Sat, helicopter photos/videos, lunch sat and a band fri and sat night. Between gas, entry, hotel, etc it's a $1,000 weekend for 2 and it starts just 30 minutes from my house. Towing distance requires fuel in the truck and multiple hotel nights making $1,500 the minimum and $2,500 very possible.

The MWBP Poker Run entry was $175 earlybird and $225 regular. Extra passengers were $50 and extra hands were $20. It didn't include slips or hotels, but did include 2 hands, 2 Tshirts, breakfast, dinner, a preparty, a private DJ'd post party and rehab party the day after. I think payouts were $2500, $1000, and $500. Much was donated back to the charities. $14000 was donated to Operation Homefront and $5000 to the Global Orphan Project. It can be done, but you need sponsors to make it happen.

Of course, the entry fee is only a small portion of the total cost. I don't know if I would travel to do a different run. The Poker Runs I enter are based more on fun and getting to see freinds that I don't get to see that often.

36Envision 07-18-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3455453)
I don't go for the payout. In fact, I wish they would drop the payouts all together and charge less to enter. I'd prefer they donate say $1000 to a charity of the winners choice. These things are expensive enough to do to begin with... You have to be a fool to only go for the payout. Drop the price to enter (and the payouts) and there would be greater participation, which IMO is what most of these runs need, more boats!

My 2 cents...

Very well put....

jmeng 07-18-2011 04:20 PM

Never pay any attention to the prize money. Not going to win anyway so no point in worrying about it.

riski bidness 07-18-2011 04:28 PM

what money

Never did a poker run for the payout. Always do them for the fun and the people you meet. Like seeing the high dollar hardware (boats and ladies)

PARADOX 07-18-2011 06:39 PM

Ditto on many issues and comments, regarding the price moneys and the reasons for the runs. I used to do a few runs in the early 90's, things were different. More Fun for sure.
I stated my oppinions in the past regarding the PR evolution to be a business. Don't like it, I attend, but not for the price $.
It's for the atmosphere, friendship, and boaters getting together for what we love to do. I met many of you during these runs. A few years ago, I did every run in Fla. I'm cutting back. Not a $ issue, it's an attitude issue with people running them. PR of A, strictly for the profit as well as FPC. Countless times I paid for the additinal vid coverage, and I got 3-4 seconds on the CD. They kiss a$$ to the big boys and the Poker Run theme is gone. Now it's who's at the bridge first, who's at the lunch stop first, and 75% of them don't even spend the effort to pick up cards and stop to say hello to the local businesses who sponser the event. A few years ago seven of us stopped at all the card stops at the Jax river run in the rain. (the crazy seven) I was shaking so bed the boat felt like it lost a prop blade. It was me shivering, but we did the stops. At the end of the day... everyone got the same no. of cards, yet they run to lunch and run back the the hotel. I don't do the runs for the price money. You can keep it. I like playing the cards for fun, but the fun is taken away by the organizers, due to the politics and the $ they put in their pocket. YOU don't go to the card stop, you dont get a card.
Either you are a die hard boater, or a show off.
I understand the need for speed thing. Most of us have that illness. But back in 93 or 94 at a Michigan PR, Fred K, Reggie, (with Ohio Steel) and the top Scarab were all there. Racing away from the schduled run. (A day before I think, just having fun). During the run most boats stayed together, the helo had a good chance to get coverage of everyone. No one ran away from the field, until it was over. Good times, and this "togetherness" is gone. 135+- boats in a line all came to get their cards the same time, with thousands of spectators.
Once the cards were picked up we all waited for everyone to get ready to go. 135 boats planning out the same time. Now thats having an event with everyone being in the run, and not a few waaaay up front, and a few waaaay in the back. What happened to boating together and donig the runs with everyone? So skip the price $ and organize the event for a bunch of crazy boaters boating together for the sake of what we love to do and not for the sake of how much $ one can put in their pocket. I don't do the P R of A event, since Bill and I have some differences in priciples, and we don't see things eye to eye. I'm not reneweing FPC due to some personal and similar issues. I rather have a bunch of nuts go out on the weekend somewhere and have a fun run, and enjoy being on the water. Best hand? he gets a drink for free and I'm all for it.
Just my .02

seafordguy 07-18-2011 06:57 PM

We are going to the ACS run in Norfolk 2 weekends from now.... When the bikini contest kicks off the last thing on my mind is going to be the payout!!!

t500hps 07-18-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 3455908)
Ditto on many issues and comments, regarding the price moneys and the reasons for the runs. I used to do a few runs in the early 90's, things were different. More Fun for sure.
I stated my oppinions in the past regarding the PR evolution to be a business. Don't like it, I attend, but not for the price $.
It's for the atmosphere, friendship, and boaters getting together for what we love to do. I met many of you during these runs. A few years ago, I did every run in Fla. I'm cutting back. Not a $ issue, it's an attitude issue with people running them. PR of A, strictly for the profit as well as FPC. Countless times I paid for the additinal vid coverage, and I got 3-4 seconds on the CD. They kiss a$$ to the big boys and the Poker Run theme is gone. Now it's who's at the bridge first, who's at the lunch stop first, and 75% of them don't even spend the effort to pick up cards and stop to say hello to the local businesses who sponser the event. A few years ago seven of us stopped at all the card stops at the Jax river run in the rain. (the crazy seven) I was shaking so bed the boat felt like it lost a prop blade. It was me shivering, but we did the stops. At the end of the day... everyone got the same no. of cards, yet they run to lunch and run back the the hotel. I don't do the runs for the price money. You can keep it. I like playing the cards for fun, but the fun is taken away by the organizers, due to the politics and the $ they put in their pocket. YOU don't go to the card stop, you dont get a card.
Either you are a die hard boater, or a show off.
I understand the need for speed thing. Most of us have that illness. But back in 93 or 94 at a Michigan PR, Fred K, Reggie, (with Ohio Steel) and the top Scarab were all there. Racing away from the schduled run. (A day before I think, just having fun). During the run most boats stayed together, the helo had a good chance to get coverage of everyone. No one ran away from the field, until it was over. Good times, and this "togetherness" is gone. 135+- boats in a line all came to get their cards the same time, with thousands of spectators.
Once the cards were picked up we all waited for everyone to get ready to go. 135 boats planning out the same time. Now thats having an event with everyone being in the run, and not a few waaaay up front, and a few waaaay in the back. What happened to boating together and donig the runs with everyone? So skip the price $ and organize the event for a bunch of crazy boaters boating together for the sake of what we love to do and not for the sake of how much $ one can put in their pocket. I don't do the P R of A event, since Bill and I have some differences in priciples, and we don't see things eye to eye. I'm not reneweing FPC due to some personal and similar issues. I rather have a bunch of nuts go out on the weekend somewhere and have a fun run, and enjoy being on the water. Best hand? he gets a drink for free and I'm all for it.
Just my .02

It's a long tow but you'd love Jammin on the James. There has never been mention of the fastest boat, first boat, etc to any of the stops and ALL proceeds after expenses go to charity. The course is set so that even if the wind kicks up a 22 Donzi can make the entire run (and several do it every year). I sold my boat last summer and had numerous offers of rides....ended up doing the run on a 26 Boston Whaler and had a blast!!!!