Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run? >

How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Notices

How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
We are going to the ACS run in Norfolk 2 weekends from now.... When the bikini contest kicks off the last thing on my mind is going to be the payout!!!
HOTDOG!!!! Is Kelli going to enter? She's a shoe-in, she's a little more top heavy than normal right now!!!

We're riding with Joby, see you guys in 2 weeks.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
It's a long tow but you'd love Jammin on the James. There has never been mention of the fastest boat, first boat, etc to any of the stops and ALL proceeds after expenses go to charity. The course is set so that even if the wind kicks up a 22 Donzi can make the entire run (and several do it every year). I sold my boat last summer and had numerous offers of rides....ended up doing the run on a 26 Boston Whaler and had a blast!!!!
Yes.. I heared about the Jammin run. All good. Don't get me wrong, not all runs are the same and some are still pretty "boater friendly". I would love to do it, but you right, it's a hike for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DucBoy
I like your way of thinking...
X2
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know anyone that enters a run because of the payout. It's about spending time with friends, meeting new ones, and experiencing new boating locations.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I don't go for the payout. In fact, I wish they would drop the payouts all together and charge less to enter. I'd prefer they donate say $1000 to a charity of the winners choice. These things are expensive enough to do to begin with... You have to be a fool to only go for the payout. Drop the price to enter (and the payouts) and there would be greater participation, which IMO is what most of these runs need, more boats!

My 2 cents...
+1

Then it can be a tax write off

I go for the boats, attendance...and good times. It's nice to run with other boaters, meet new people...include some goodies...people will be happy...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather see the payouts go away and lower the entry fee.For me to do a run it either has to be one of our club events or a different place to run as I am kinda getting bored running the same place every weekend.Going upstate NY at the end of the month for the swamp rum should be s good time.
We also do fun runs north of me in the hudson river no card no fee just a group of guys running together.They are the most fun.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DucBoy
Looking for some input from those who actually travel to runs. What kind of a guaranteed first place hand gets your attention? $2,500? $3,000? $3,500? More? What about guaranteed first and second? And how far are you willing to travel to run? For sake of conversation, let's say the event is Friday - Sunday with slip, most meals, swag, bands each day, and the like for $250 (captain and mate) and $100 a passenger, hands at $50 each.

Thanks for your thoughts!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP7AbATrsMo[/YOUTUBE]
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
+1

Then it can be a tax write off
The two runs here locally that I participate in both benefit charities - Shriners and Cancer society - you can bet your ass those entrance fees are on my tax return!!!

I am not lucky enough to win any hands ever, but I would be hard pressed to claim any winnings unless I got a 1099.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

A ton of very valid great points here, A poker run is NOT a get rich quick scheme!! Like many have noted it's about being with others that enjoy the same fun that you do as well as meeting new friends, seeing new rigs, and conversation over drinks and good food. It's nice to see many of the runs donating now to charity unlike many of the ones in the early days where someone put the $$ in their pocket. There is a TON of work that goes into bringing a run together and if someone needs to be compensated for their time to do so then so be it......Nobody works for free or because they like to? When you are able to enjoy the water and your boat, as well as hang with friends and meet new ones and have a fun filled day in the sun, it's all that much better when at the end of the day you know you are helping someone that could not enjoy the day like you did. Go out, run runs, have fun, and be thankful you are able to, and at the same time help others. Just remember it can always be MUCH WORST then that broken dive or bad impeller. Enjoy your summer and your boat and have fun, You only live once!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have done many poker runs, and the best times were the runs where the entry fee is $100. The hundred bucks get you two tee shirts and two hamburgers. It is a different world from ten years ago. It is all about running the boats and telling the stories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.