Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run? >

How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Notices

How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We never expect to win. In fact, Id say we have probably had some of the worst hands in poker run history.

I agree with augie58. Some of the best runs have been the cheapest runs. Im happy to walk away with a t-shirt as a reminder of the weekend.

We won some money for 4th or 5th place once in my brothers (XT-Innovator) boat. I think he donated it for gas money to some people that traveled a long way to get there. Thats always an option I guess.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I guess I am stumped. My club took over a local run that had gotten too big for its facilities a few years ago. We run it on a cost basis - the only profit the club makes is on food and beverage which is very good and provided at a very reasonable menu price (catering price would be higher). The club kicks in for good bands Friday and Saturday and the run pays for island music on Sunday at the pool (recouperation day). We've even made arrangemetns the last two years to include a gentleman's club that is on the water as a stop with girls in swimsuits outside. We cater to all boats and all boaters (we have an early start for the 2-3 cruisers that like to run and don't have any prizes or mention for first/fastest/etc. - althoug we are thinking of starting a broken boat prize for the biggest breakdown). We've been keeping the run distances shorter (less than 75 miles total) because of gas prices. The price is around $200 for boat, skipper and mate and that includes shirts, dockage for 2 nights, heavy apps and a band Friday, donuts, lunch, and a good dinner and band Saturday, and a nice brunch and poolside band Sunday. Hands are $50 and everything after expenses goes back out the door with the boaters. Everybody seems to have a great time and nobody throws an attitude - but I can't figure out why more people don't come? (we usually have 40 or so boats, had less this year becuase of threatening weather). I would like to see more boats - it's not a money thing as we only cover costs and send the rest out with the boaters - from my standpoint I'd like to see some different boats and meet some more people. Maybe its advertising. Maybe its not having a copter (we tried that, the copter pilot dropped out the last minute and we had to rent a plane - hard to get good pics from a plane! - and we are trying to keep costs down). Maybe it is timing (we run the second weekend of June). I had thought maybe it was that we didn't have a guaranteed hand but it doesn't sound that way.

So, we have good folks, bands, chow, babes, and a big lake. What am I missing? Any thoughts would be appreciated so I can get started on next year.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Is 600$ high?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't think second week in June is a great weekend. Lots of guys (especially with kids) who have barely got the cover off by then. I know our raft up is normally pretty small until school gets out and one or two weekends pass giving everyone time to get with the program.

I know in some areas that would also be one of the first weeks after school and a lot of people are on vacation.

My .02.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What club? Where is it? Maybe some advertising???
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with a lot of what was said previously. Payout doesn't really matter to me, its more about getting together with other boaters, meeting new people, and the thrill of everyone running together. I have had a lot of fun on the runs I have been too, and none of them were big $. It all depends on what you are looking for in a run, if you want to keep it exclusive, with only the big dollar boats running, make it pricey. If you want more turnout, keep it reasonable.
Here is my thoughts on a good run.
1. Have several levels of participation. Base price for the run to cover expenses, any entertainment and food provided. Have the poker hand as additional, if you want in on it you have a choice, with a reasonable payout and proceeds to charity if you are going that way. If someone wants to donate additionaly to charity they can do so.
2. Have some nice/interesting stops. Make it last a good portion of the day, include a lunch stop and a stop to raft off and hang out. Try to keep the field together as much as possible, keep the distance under a full tank of gas for everyone.
3.Have a photographer/vid guy, and make sure he knows to try and get good pics of ALL the boats involved. That is my one beef on the runs I have done, no good running shot of my boat. I know its not a 40+ Skater or OL but it is mine and I would buy a good pic for sure.

Bottom line, for me anything over 3-400 and I probably won't go. As stated above, between travel, rooms, fuel, it adds up to a big expense. I can boat around home for 3-4 weekends on the cost of a run.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

I'm really glad to read and see this, we as well keep our run as simple and as cheap as possible so everyone can afford it. We offer 100 Entry with lunch, Dinner and T shirt included as well as the band and party afterwards, also we have a chopper with a photographer . We keep in mind that not everyone is able to attend a $1200 PRA event, and our event started simple and with small local boats so we make sure we don't forget those that helped us get started. Now the event as grown and we have boats that go 50 mph and some that go 150 mph. All in all its a fun day with good people and helps out a great cause (Make-A-Wish) and we are on great track to making a large donation this year. Every year so far we have doubled our donation and hopefully this year will be no different. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK for everyone involved in these events and the creation of new ones..

2008 $1200
2009 $5100
2010 $10,641
2011 $21,300???????????