Notices

KE Valve Covers CURE????

Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KE Valve Covers CURE????

Upon building new power I decided to spend the long dollar on the KE valve covers so we could access the valve train if we needed to without removing the exhaust. Of course the covers leak like we never put a gasket between them and the heads. I call KE and they tell me I'm crazy and they have never had the problem and I am 1 in a million, I call 5 more times then get told they have redesigned the cover base to prevent this and I ask if they did it just for me since I'm 1 in a million? This is the summer of 09, half way through the summer of 10 I call KE since I still have not received my new bases, I'm told by a guy named Jeff I need to "Buy" the new bases then ship my old bases back and he will "Credit" me. I go off on a rant about how everything is NEW and the only reason I have oil in the bilge is due to the $1000.00 I spent on "KE's SATE OF THE ART COVERS", so I get him to send me the new set of bases for free without a deposit. New bases LEAK just like to old ones and do you think KE will call me back......NOPE ! I've been told a few have machined the bases to prevent the leaking by milling the inside lip or something, if anyone has done this or know of another way to stop this BS problem I would appreciate hearing about it. I still have the "New Bases" (installed) as well as the "OLD Bases" (in the box). Thanks and beware of the "State of the Art" KE Valve covers!!!

Check Out the OIL
Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Here is a photo of a repaired set. These are not mine. Just mill the bottom edge at 45° as to let the oil flow down and not build up and flow over the side and down your exhaust. I would think smaller notches would work just as well.
Attached Thumbnails KE Valve Covers CURE????-20091218_768.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not saying that this is your problem, but we have found that is best if you tighten both thumb screws evenly at the same time. Sometimes we have also used a rummer mallet (cloth covered) and hit the valve cover at each end to assure it is 100% seated.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nolan, Call Bill aka Kidnova, he fixed his similar to the above pic.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Mine also leak badly . When I contacted KE about it, they gave me the same line of b.s. that their newly designed rails will fix my problem. Being that the covers were a few years old, unfortunately for me, I paid for a new set. Well, they leaked as badly as the first set. A call to them got me nowhere. My fix was to run a bead of silicone around the rails. They no longer leak, but I need dynamite to get them off.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
My fix was to run a bead of silicone around the rails. They no longer leak, but I need dynamite to get them off.
I put a finger full of a heavy hydraulic grease around the bottom edge and have not had a problem. But I have only used them for a couple seasons now.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't had any leaks and my rail is flat -- not machined. What i have had is oil getting squirted right into the breathers and making a mess -- there are no baffles under the 1 1/4 breather holes and the holes are located directly above a pushrod. At high rpms it will squirt oil to the inside of the filter and then the little bit of blow by pushes it out the screen and runs down the outside.

We have just welded in a baffle to the inside of the cover to prevent this -- like most any other valve cover has--

the covers are a great idea, especially with the pain of the headers to get at the valve train,-- a little more thought and they would be worth the money.

BTW i was told that i am also the only one that has ever had this problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine leak a bunch too.

Kind of a pisser. I would think that they would not want the negative press.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Mercury Perfect Seal
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marinetrans
Mercury Perfect Seal
And a 1/4 of the freakin price!!!! WTF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.