Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What battery for extened stereo play? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/258797-what-battery-extened-stereo-play.html)

jstrahn 07-26-2011 10:21 PM

Another thing that helps is an isolator. It will allow all batteries to be charged when the boat is running but will separate the starting battery when the boat is off so it is not drained.

Something like this:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=14844

A perko switch is fine but how many times do you forget to move it when you stop? With an isolator you don't have to remember.

Really you just have to determine how much amperage your devices are drawing which will tell you how many and how big of batteries you need to sustain that for the length of time you want.

low_psi 07-26-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by jstrahn (Post 3462977)
Another thing that helps is an isolator. It will allow all batteries to be charged when the boat is running but will separate the starting battery when the boat is off so it is not drained.

Something like this:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=14844

A perko switch is fine but how many times do you forget to move it when you stop? With an isolator you don't have to remember.

Really you just have to determine how much amperage your devices are drawing which will tell you how many and how big of batteries you need to sustain that for the length of time you want.

You never want to try and charge a true deep cycle battery with your alternator after it has been used for many hours. It is too much load for stock alternator. That is why I do NOT use an isolator and use a switch.

jstrahn 07-26-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3462985)
You never want to try and charge a true deep cycle battery with your alternator after it has been used for many hours. It is too much load for stock alternator. That is why I do NOT use an isolator and use a switch.

It is certainly a load but I've not ever had a problem in years of running this type of setup. I am only running one group 31 battery as my accessory battery. I suppose it depends on if you're running multiple secondary batteries and how large of a stock alternator you have.

Your point is well taken, though. It is something to consider.

russellhorn 07-27-2011 10:09 AM

Odyssey doesn’t make a distinction between cranking, deep cycle, or "house". If you go to their website and check the specs you will see they do both very well ;) The difference between them and Interstate is the technology used. Their absorbed glass mat construction and quality materials used is the difference thus the price. Looking at the Deka website it looks like they have very similar technology (absorbed glass mat) and I would imagine a very comparable battery performance wise. I am unable to see the connection to Interstate though. Both websites claim different manufacturing in separate states from what I see. Not that it really matters. Bottom line is that I make no claims that Odyssey is the only choice as there are other good manufacturers out there. It’s just that I have experience with the Odyssey brand and they smoke the Interstates performance wise. From what is mentioned on this thread it looks like one cannot go wrong with either the Odyssey or Deka and I think it is great that both are made in the good ole USA :coolcowboy:

low_psi 07-27-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by russellhorn (Post 3463279)
Odyssey doesn’t make a distinction between cranking, deep cycle, or "house". If you go to their website and check the specs you will see they do both very well ;) The difference between them and Interstate is the technology used. Their absorbed glass mat construction and quality materials used is the difference thus the price. Looking at the Deka website it looks like they have very similar technology (absorbed glass mat) and I would imagine a very comparable battery performance wise. I am unable to see the connection to Interstate though. Both websites claim different manufacturing in separate states from what I see. Not that it really matters. Bottom line is that I make no claims that Odyssey is the only choice as there are other good manufacturers out there. It’s just that I have experience with the Odyssey brand and they smoke the Interstates performance wise. From what is mentioned on this thread it looks like one cannot go wrong with either the Odyssey or Deka and I think it is great that both are made in the good ole USA :coolcowboy:

I think you are correct. It appears they are not of same manufacture. They are distributed by the same company........ My bad!!!

Yes, my Deka is AGM and my Interstate starting battery is lead/acid. WHile my Interstate can run my stereo of a couple of hours, my Dekas blow it away as far as stereo goes. But the Interstate, cranks the boat better as it has more CCA. I have never used Odyssey Batteries, but I would assume technology is similar so I would expect them to perform similar to the Deka.

THe Optima is AGM as well, but it is too small to hold up to extended use (not enough reserve).

tanner 07-27-2011 03:29 PM

I am more confused now that when I started reading the first post !!!

low_psi 07-27-2011 05:16 PM

It is rather simple. For extended use (stereo), go with a dedicated AGM True Deep Cycle Battery such as Deka, Odyssey, or Kinetic. Not a dual purpose battery. The larger the reserve time the longer your battery will last, but the longer it will take to charge. In most cases as your reserve capacity increase so does the size and weight. Go with a dual purpose/starting battery to run and crank the boat.

tanner 07-28-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3463692)
It is rather simple. For extended use (stereo), go with a dedicated AGM True Deep Cycle Battery such as Deka, Odyssey, or Kinetic. Not a dual purpose battery. The larger the reserve time the longer your battery will last, but the longer it will take to charge. In most cases as your reserve capacity increase so does the size and weight. Go with a dual purpose/starting battery to run and crank the boat.

Now I get it !! Thanks very much !

Perfect Storm 07-28-2011 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been using the group 24 Duralast Dual Purpose Marine Batteries which are manufactured by Johnson Controls and sold by AutoZone for only $79.99 ea. I run the stereo, LED's & TV/DVD player quite a bit and have never had a problem starting. The reserve capacity on these batteries is listed at 140.

The Odyssey 34/PC1500 has a reserve capacity of 135 and a price tag of $278.18.

The Odyssey is probably a better battery, but the "reserve capacity" seems to be the all important number here for extended battery life from use of accessories, so the Duralast seems to be a pretty good value... You could buy three of them for the price of one Odyssey and still have enough money left over to fill the fridge on the boat with beer!

schnydo 07-28-2011 06:43 PM

cabellas agm 7 years 4 big amps on sale