Notices

Kids & Powerboats

Old 06-03-2002, 04:56 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Kids & Powerboats

I have a 3 year old girl that is already grabbing the throttles and is waiting for her day out on the new boat. I also have a 9 month old girl that my wife is nervous about taking out just yet.

How young has anyone taken their kids out?

I read that No Discipline had actually put a car seat in for his 5 yr old. What an idea!

I don't plan on any fast speed with the family aboard. The engines will be way too loud and they may never want to come out again.

Looking for any suggestions and comments. How young is too young?

My 3yr caught the boating disease last year in my 13 footer. So she's hooked for life. I just want to protect them the best I can.... Thanks in advance.

SHARK
Attached Thumbnails Kids & Powerboats-april2.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-03-2002, 04:58 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

These PHOTOS were taken at Skaterfest when the boat was on the trailer. That's why they have no PFD's on. The smiles they are wearing is from their 1st time on the boat.

THE NAVIGATOR
Attached Thumbnails Kids & Powerboats-cristy2.jpg  

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 06-03-2002 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The earliest we took our grandson out was at 2 years old.
The only reason we didn't start earlier was that he wasn't around us before then.
I see no reason not to start now with the youngest one, other than your wife's protest.
If you're afraid the loud engines might scare her try having her near the boat, maybe 20-30+ feet away, and then start it up and watch her reaction. If she's ok then bring her closer and then on board.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had mine aboard since they were both about 6 months old with no problems. you just have to worry about keeping them out of the sun and cool. they are now 11 and 9 and are more at home on a boat than in a car. the first thing they do is put on the PFD's when they get in....my daughter(11 year old) is starting to think she's to big to wear one ....but ol dad's got news for her
Old 06-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Registered

Hi Tim, I started my girls boating when they were very young. The trick I used was to start the engines before they even came near the boat, and then bring the girls up to the boat while the motors were ideling. np problem. If i started them while the girls were in the boat, the noise would startle them and the screaming would begin. How are you doing with the new boat? have you run it much.
Philip

Last edited by Philip; 06-06-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Sharkey, we took our son out for the first time on our 29 SCARAB in the open ocean when he was about a month old, we put a infant live jackett on him and also a life preserver under his carrier.

Had him out to Havasu twice, he's now 6 mos. old and since the first time we brought him out all he does is sleep (when the engines are running) but when it's quiet is when he wakes up...too funny

PS cute kids.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:24 PM
WES311SR1

had my son on the boat when he was 1 week old , and ever since then . he will be 4 in 10 days.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:18 PM
Registered

I started my kids when my son was 4 and my daughter only two, now my daughter is 5 and all she tells me is faster, faster. Her nickname is the speed demon.....Just start them off nice and slow. Get them used to the sound first then start just idling around and slowly speed up.

And Tim, no you can not run like we were in the Poker Run on Saturday. lol

Start them off young and slow and they will love it forever.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:30 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Philip 1st time out with the boat was this weekend with the AC Poker Run. The boat ran great in the Ocean and the Intercoastal. It will take some getting used to though. My little boat requires a much faster reaction with the steering but the hardest transition is standing up and throttling by hand not foot.
Bada Bing My youngest slept through the Dyno Test at Skaterfest She may not be afraid. I may just pick up some ear plugs just in case...
The rest of you...WOW!!! They were young. My wife's biggest concern is that her little brain is still developing and is afraid to bounce her around. I think she would take more of a bounce on the floor of our house then she would in this 28.

What type of vests were you guys using?

Old 06-03-2002, 06:40 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally posted by thunderdan

And Tim, no you can not run like we were in the Poker Run on Saturday. lol
Does this mean we can't go in the ocean?

Quick Reply: Kids & Powerboats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.