Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it! >

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Notices

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there done that, has been the story of my life with this boat........

Originally Posted by C_Spray
This brings up a good point. Maybe the discussion should be limited to boats that will run at least a 50-hour season without the replacement of major components...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Bob Teague

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Well, it's the fastest one I've ever been in and ever heard of. Without exaggeration, I still get goose bumps and feel a little sick when I think about my ride with Bob Teague for a Powerboat magazine test in that boat.

I was so scared at the time that I actually closed my eyes at one point in the run.

And the boat had more in it—we ran out of straight river before we the engine ran out of rpm. We both pretended to be disappointed when the drive broke before we could make our next run. Whew—I mean, dang ,those pesky drives.

So that particular 25' Daytona was the fastest recreational single-engine boat I'm aware of. However, there are faster (much) single-engine drag boats.
Hey Matt, I actually asked Bob about the boat and ride a few years back, and he said he couldn't feel the bottom of the boat at that speed, but just kept the throttle pinned...

I remember the boat, it was a cooling looking yellow/blue flame paint job, I wonder what ever happened to that boat...?

PS, I can't imagine 144mph in that boat, I have the same boat, and theres no change I would ever have enough nuts to drive it at those speeds, its actually remarkable, when you think about it..

Hey, I'm glad to hear you say you were scared, bcuz even with Bob driving, I'm not sure I would get in it.. LOL

Last edited by PokerRun388; 07-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I was told the drive went back to Imco, motor went back to Pfaff. Two guys in Ohio ended up with pieces of the original motor both were 598s. One went in a 25 Daytona the other in a 28 Nordic.
The hull was sold seperate.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Hey Matt, I actually asked Bob about the boat and ride a few years back, and he said he couldn't feel the bottom of the boat at that speed, but just kept the throttle pinned...

I remember the boat, it was a cooling looking yellow/blue flame paint job, I wonder what ever happened to that boat...?

PS, I can't imagine 144mph in that boat, I have the same boat, and theres no change I would ever have enough nuts to drive it at those speeds, its actually remarkable, when you think about it..

Hey, I'm glad to hear you say you were scared, bcuz even with Bob driving, I'm not sure I would get in it.. LOL
Mark Kinser in Iowa had a 28 Daytona with a big PSI motor and a #6 drive. He ran 144 at loto a few years back. I think he parted the boat out and sold it now. He now has a newer step bottom 43 Larry Smith (zero gravity).
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on Scaldeds description...cats are out of the running

Right?

So then you have V's .

Do you want a shallow (lake) V or deep (ocean) V?

Uncle Dave
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Scalded Dawg
She has more in her Smitty. I have another 85HP in her at 5.5lbs of boost and guessing she will be right at 900HP at 8.5lbs of boost..... Have right at 50hrs on engine. Just glad I haven't broken anything for once this year...... How much power you have in the 272 again? 1000 plus right and you took off ur extension box for it scrubbed off MPH too?
On my particular boat (2000 Baja 272) the only thing I have found that actually made it go faster was more hp, stellings box slowed it down and made it go from being mediocre to poor in rough water and the imco shorty made me see god over 95 mph when boat tried to swap ends, I am done trying to find the "magic" part that makes my boat faster, there aren't none, I have had every kind of prop and running over 1000 hp and ft lbs of tq anything more aggressive than a 4 blade labbed just makes drive parts break quickly, I run mid 90's these days with boat slightly under-propped and things last quite a while and 99% of the "fast" boats I run into get still real small behind me real fast unless waters rough, Smitty
Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Well, it's the fastest one I've ever been in and ever heard of. Without exaggeration, I still get goose bumps and feel a little sick when I think about my ride with Bob Teague for a Powerboat magazine test in that boat.

I was so scared at the time that I actually closed my eyes at one point in the run.

And the boat had more in it—we ran out of straight river before we the engine ran out of rpm. We both pretended to be disappointed when the drive broke before we could make our next run. Whew—I mean, dang ,those pesky drives.

So that particular 25' Daytona was the fastest recreational single-engine boat I'm aware of. However, there are faster (much) single-engine drag boats.
I remember that test and thinking holy smokes that thing is on the edge!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a size limit to this question?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered

I'd like to see the feedback with deep V. I have a 24 deadrise.

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Based on Scaldeds description...cats are out of the running

Right?

So then you have V's .

Do you want a shallow (lake) V or deep (ocean) V?

Uncle Dave
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Very impressive....... I like my neutral Imco extension box, it may slow it down a little but it rides better in the rough stuff.....imo. I've prop tested so many other props and right now I'm running a 30 4-blade at about 5500rpm in the worst hot and humid conditions ever at about 82gps around 700hp at 6psi boost. I want to go faster and have alot more in this stroked 496 if I put the smaller pulley on but am enjoying my 1st trouble free summer so far.....

Originally Posted by articfriends
On my particular boat (2000 Baja 272) the only thing I have found that actually made it go faster was more hp, stellings box slowed it down and made it go from being mediocre to poor in rough water and the imco shorty made me see god over 95 mph when boat tried to swap ends, I am done trying to find the "magic" part that makes my boat faster, there aren't none, I have had every kind of prop and running over 1000 hp and ft lbs of tq anything more aggressive than a 4 blade labbed just makes drive parts break quickly, I run mid 90's these days with boat slightly under-propped and things last quite a while and 99% of the "fast" boats I run into get still real small behind me real fast unless waters rough, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.