Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it! >

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Notices

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B BOATER
Sounds perfect to me. Got a couple buddies running 27 based hulls and they are all around 900 hp running in those speeds. Who knows for sure every one seems to lie haha. Also depends on year of 27 hull some are faster even though some say there's no change.

I believe I called you and talked to you about running a surface drive on it. Wish we would have went that routenbut the transom was already cut and prepped for mercury style drives. And the bravo replacement you sell wouldn't make the rating of torque and hp.
The transom cutout does not matter with our drive kit and the kit can handle the power. I have a customer with a 900 ish (so they say) motor and heard speeds of 118 ball park but a lot of gossip of them in the 130's which is quite a spread and would like to know what to expect.... Thanks!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think it slowed my boat down Smitty, I just took it for granted it did because yours slowed down with the Stellings. I didn't really get a chance to compare it to the stock set-up but do know the boat handles the rough stuff alot better now.... If it did slow it down it's not coming off.....

Originally Posted by articfriends
So you installed a Imco ext box and it slowed your boat down? I have been told by so many "experts" how well a ext box will make Baja's singles go faster and it just didn't work on mine, you are the only other person I have heard that said the box slowed their boat down too, Smitty
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

Damn UD, that is one sweet ride...... That has everything mine has plus 2 flat screens and AC to boot...... That ride is very well laid out my friend...... Very impressive I must say and thanks for the pics! I'm taking that an Ilmore 710 is around 700HP? Can't say I've seen one around here. I have found that your ride, the Velocity, Joker 28 and 25 Active Thunder are close in comparison and definitely more efficient than my 25 Outlaw. What do you think?

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
My Laveycraft 2750 will go 90 with an ilmor 710 - and its loaded up like an escalade. AC, killer stereo, radar, nav, dual screens.

Sleeps 2 in the v no issues I often sleep aboard at least a night or two per San Diego trip.

As a matter of fact I can operate in zero visibility at night on the ocean with 100% confidence.

I get between 2-3.3 MPG - and have gone on 300 mile ocean trips with confidence.

This an extremely practical ride that happens to be fast with reasonable power.

Same bottom in the canopied 28 Evo is not as practical but will go 105 on the same engine.

This hull has an excellent offshore racing track record was designed for big water and is as good an all rounder as you can get.

If there is a faster 28 with the same level of HP and amenities Id like to see it.

Uncle Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scalded Dawg
Damn UD, that is one sweet ride...... That has everything mine has plus 2 flat screens and AC to boot...... That ride is very well laid out my friend...... Very impressive I must say and thanks for the pics! I'm taking that an Ilmore 710 is around 700HP? Can't say I've seen one around here. I have found that your ride, the Velocity, Joker 28 and 25 Active Thunder are close in comparison and definitely more efficient than my 25 Outlaw. What do you think?
Thanks!. I wanted a fast all rounder and focused on amenities and situational awareness first and speed second.

I think you zeroed in on the ones I like minus maybe the pantera whose 28 is pretty neat and big water capable.

Yes the ilmor 710 is 700HP 10 cylinder fuel injected, no blower, and all aluminum so its very light. Idles like a kitten, screams like a 2 stroke banshee with a howl between a BBc and a lamborghini.

I like Velocities. Im not sure the velocity is a 24 degree V like the very fast Howard Bullett which isn't either- but velocities are always fast for their length- always. I also do not know if velocity vac bags their product.

Only a few of these hulls have been raced and proven in an apple to apples environment. Joker has the only race record better than the 2750 (although I don't know if they swept OSS 100% in any year like the 2750 did twice) and makes a fast light hull, but Im not sure they have the gelcoat quality and interior detail amenities the Lavey has. I can't really find lots of detail interior picts of the joker, but would be curious to see what actually molded vs whats inserted after as part of an interior.

The east coast boats typically have bolt on swim steps & windshields and west coast boats typically have them molded in.

East coast boats also typically apply paint externally to the hull and West Coast boats typically spray gelcoat in the mold process.

Ive never been interested in Bajas simply because for the same or a bit more money one can have a truly custom boat made they way they want it vs picked out off a showroom. All the ones I have been in had things that drive me nuts but I wouldn't call any of them "bad" just compromised by assembly line production limitations.

I like AT's. The 25 AT is a huge 25. People love their AT's but the 25 hasn't been made for some time now. A guy named spillman had a nice one for sale.

I run in zero vis condition you see above and although this site says "offshore" very few here leave sight of land or can navigate effectively at night in major commercial traffic areas like I do all the time.

Take your time and look at ALL the details in this class. There are lots of little differences in all of these boats that contribute or detract to living life with them.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-nat-kellers-me.jpg   Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dsc06318.jpg   Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-710-crate.jpg  

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-2750-trailer.jpg   Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dsc05620.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-04-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
The transom cutout does not matter with our drive kit and the kit can handle the power. I have a customer with a 900 ish (so they say) motor and heard speeds of 118 ball park but a lot of gossip of them in the 130's which is quite a spread and would like to know what to expect.... Thanks!!!
There's another guy on here claiming his 27 runs 130mph we have called him out over and over never happens. It's real hard to get them to run that fast. We figured for every hour of use was 5hrs maintenance. Not fun boating. But to push those speeds compared to a 25 is a miracle. Id say 90% lie about there speed until you get into a certain caliber. Fun to run them down when you run a 127 and they claim 130 lol. It would take an honest 1200 hp perfect water, humidity, propping to run an honest 130 in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done but things have to be perfect. We flew two different tuners out first motor was a quad rotor motor (POS). Then went to pfaff.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Man Im loving your Boat...... I love the quality they put in the Laveycrafts! Reason I started this thread was to see what was out there. The only reason I chose a 25 Outlaw was my budget at the time but have realized over the last 5 years that it takes a crap load of horsepower and money just to get one in the 80's...... I'm entertaining the idea over the next couple of years on a faster hull with the same amenities. If I continue to have good luck with my powerplant that is....... I really enjoy talking and meeting new people who have the same passion for boating that I do!Thanks for sharing with me and its a shame your all the way over on the west coast for I'd love to see your ride and meet you too boot.....

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thanks!. I wanted a fast all rounder and focused on amenities and situational awareness first and speed second.

I think you zeroed in on the ones I like minus maybe the pantera whose 28 is pretty neat and big water capable.

Yes the ilmor 710 is 700HP 10 cylinder fuel injected, no blower, and all aluminum so its very light. Idles like a kitten, screams like a 2 stroke banshee with a howl between a BBc and a lamborghini.

I like Velocities. Im not sure the velocity is a 24 degree V like the very fast Howard Bullett which isn't either- but velocities are always fast for their length- always. I also do not know if velocity vac bags their product.

Only a few of these hulls have been raced and proven in an apple to apples environment. Joker has the only race record better than the 2750 (although I don't know if they swept OSS 100% in any year like the 2750 did twice) and makes a fast light hull, but Im not sure they have the gelcoat quality and interior detail amenities the Lavey has. I can't really find lots of detail interior picts of the joker, but would be curious to see what actually molded vs whats inserted after as part of an interior.

The east coast boats typically have bolt on swim steps & windshields and west coast boats typically have them molded in.

East coast boats also typically apply paint externally to the hull and West Coast boats typically spray gelcoat in the mold process.

Ive never been interested in Bajas simply because for the same or a bit more money one can have a truly custom boat made they way they want it vs picked out off a showroom. All the ones I have been in had things that drive me nuts but I wouldn't call any of them "bad" just compromised by assembly line production limitations.

I like AT's. The 25 AT is a huge 25. People love their AT's but the 25 hasn't been made for some time now. A guy named spillman had a nice one for sale.

I run in zero vis condition you see above and although this site says "offshore" very few here leave sight of land or can navigate effectively at night in major commercial traffic areas like I do all the time.

Take your time and look at ALL the details in this class. There are lots of little differences in all of these boats that contribute or detract to living life with them.

Uncle Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Do you have some pictures you can share with us that are apples 2 apples with my 25 Outlaw and the Laveycraft?

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
We have several 28 Jokers that run well over 100 mph.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's another guy on here claiming his 27 runs 130mph we have called him out over and over never happens. It's real hard to get them to run that fast. We figured for every hour of use was 5hrs maintenance. Not fun boating. But to push those speeds compared to a 25 is a miracle. Id say 90% lie about there speed until you get into a certain caliber. Fun to run them down when you run a 127 and they claim 130 lol. It would take an honest 1200 hp perfect water, humidity, propping to run an honest 130 in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done but things have to be perfect. We flew two different tuners out first motor was a quad rotor motor (POS). Then went to pfaff.
Thanks, I was wanting to know what to honestly expect from things. Different stories from different people as you stated and it is hard to decipher the b.s. from the "o so rare" truth.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

I'll try to see 110+ with a 32 Activator w #6 drive and 1100hp...

No cabin, no cup holders, no big $$$ stereo or other useless crap like that.....

It's not a dead flat condition boat ........

Mange
Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I swear the speeds that people claim go higher and higher with the amount of alcohol they have!!! With the single vee's I run acrossed I constantly have to hear about this guys/that guys Baja outlaw runs low to mid 70's STOCK, funny that it took 650 hp to get mine in the mid 70's, of course when I pace them they can't break 65mph stock EVER! +. The guys who's boats run mid 70's claim their in the 80's and the guys who run close or into the triple digits do the opposite and claim low 90's or claim they don't know so they can reel in races.
"We figured for every hour of use was 5hrs maintenance. Not fun boating" - I know THAT feeling, I find myself staying out of the boost and cruising around 60-65 more these days then holding it wide open, you just get tired of pouring money into replacing parts/repairs.
Laveycraft-Man that is a SWEET looking boat! I remember seeing the story in one of the mags or ads about how fast they will go with very little power, that is very impressive!, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.