If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Figures, I started out wanting a tie-in system. Then realized my helm was hydraulic so I thought I might get lucky and end up with a full system at a lower price! Now I have no choice but to go full hydraulic and my helm won't work!

So IF my helm was large enough I could use it for a single ram system. But, for a dual ram I would definitely need a bigger helm and it would have to have 4 ports instead of 2? Am I getting this right?

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    Yes. The hydraulic system may work for a single ram-assuming the helm has enough capacity and you don't mind the tug and slow steering. It's proably going to be slower than what you have now because the external ram is bigger. I'm pretty sure the system won't work for a dual ram application.

If you went with a dual ram system, you'd need a larger helm. Now you can go non boosted, which would eliminate the need for the supply and return lines (those other two lines to the helm) and the pump, but I'm guessing that it's going to be really stiff and slow. Some outboard fans proably can tell just how slow and stiff the system would be.

Cord, thanks for all the info. My helm has 2 lines coming out and then there are 2 more "capped" ports. At least they appear to be ports. I talked to both WPM and Marine Machine today. WPM says it will probably not work and quoted me a price for the full system. OUCH! Dan was a very nice guy though.

MM says it may work but it will probably be slow. He also mentioned eliminating the power steering. He also suggested trying my helm and using just their cylinders. If it works, great! And if it doesn't I could always buy their helm. I don't know if it's even worth a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12