Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WPM external steering (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25908-wpm-external-steering.html)

blackhawk 06-05-2002 12:04 PM

WPM external steering

I am getting ready to purchase a tie-in dual ram external steering system for my boat. I have done a little research and WPM seems to have a great product at a fair price. Who has some first-hand experiences with their products? How do their sytems work? How is their customer service? Ease of installation? etc, etc.

Thanks

EWB 06-05-2002 12:17 PM

I have got a brand new system that was bought for my boat and I traded so I dont need it now call me if you are interested Thanks 615-330-8051

INDY27 06-05-2002 12:54 PM

BLACKHAWK,
I installed a WPM dual ram setup on my boat last year myself,easy install and the quality is first rate!

Designie 06-05-2002 01:00 PM

Try Marine Machine. The customer service and quality were absolutely top notch.

Bayley 06-05-2002 02:54 PM

Installed a Warlock Tie-In system last year and hated every minute of it.

Granted, it was no fault of Warlock... it's just that the "Tie-In" method is not a good idea IMHO. I upgraded to full hydraulic over this past winter and love the results. The old tie in had ten times the slop and was extremely difficult (if not impossible) to turn without power assist pump running.

Everyone at Warlock was very friendly and helpful. The helm system that I upgraded to was an IMCO unit (sorry WPM, got a deal I couldn't pass on) and everything integrated fine with the WPM.

One nice thing about the WPM that I'm not sure everyone does, is that the thru hull connectors for the hydraulic lines were a part of the mounting block for the rams on the transom. Two less holes to drill.

Brad Perry 06-05-2002 02:55 PM

Bought a wpm

full hyd system and love it. Dan was a great help!

Drew 06-05-2002 03:02 PM

Full hyd system is the best hands down. A tie in is good but if you have play in your cable you will still have it with your new tie in. At an idle a tie in system is slower than your stock set up. If you try and muscle it to turn it you just make it worse. All tie in systems are this way that I know of. I believe the 2 ram set up is worse that the single because of extra oil volume required. As for WPM it is a quality product and ALL stainless. No rubber lines on the transom to cause trouble. I have WPM and installed myself. No big deal if you follw the instructions. They can match the length of cylinder to your application. I found them easy to work with.

27 FOUNTAIN 06-05-2002 07:30 PM

Started with the tie in wpm, idle steering was hard as hell, and at speed plenty of slop. The following winter went full helm, this is definently the way to go, easy at idle and everywhere else. Go for the full helm.

blackhawk 06-06-2002 01:37 PM

Okay, I did some investigating into this and I have confused myself even more. :confused: The steering system I have is a Hynautic system. My helm has a resevoir and 2 hydraulic lines out the back going to my steering cylinder. At the cylinder, my power steering is also connected with two lines. THERE ARE NO CABLES. So, I am thinking that I will have a full hydraulic system IF my helm will work. Am I thinking correctly?

Cord 06-06-2002 01:54 PM

So, this is a unboosted system and the steering ram is still inside the boat...right? If so, then then you'll be looking for a complete full hydraulic system. You'll end up with a new helm, steering wheel, lines, ram, pump etc. Everything. My system costed $4,400 from IMCO (less pump), but that was a dual ram system for a stand off box. Going with a single ram would get you into the mid to low 3's. You should be able to find a used pump and brackets on this board.

That said, I recall seeing a 28' Skater with a external Hynautic system. However, I believe that your existing ram is very small with a corespondingly small helm to match. What this means is that if you just added an external ram and reconnected your existing lines, you MAY end up with extreamly slow steering.