If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Boats:
    02 38 T/S GUN SMITH POWER 43 Wellcraft Portifino
    Tulsa, GLOC
    I put 700 hours on a set of 2000 385 Mags. Usually ran 1 tank of 91 to 3 or 4 tanks of 87.
    No porblems.
    NOW boat is over 900 hours and STILL runs like a top.

Gold Member Gold Member Keytime's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
    Derby, KS
    87. I have 1999 454 Mag EFI's. I have put premium through it with no noticeable performance gains, and that includes LOTO Shootout runs.
    The premium will also put a nice black residue on your transom. It wipes off pretty easy, but it's mildly annoying.

Gold Member Gold Member AppSysCons's Avatar
    My Boats:
    CURR: 230LX, PREV:2007 30 Skater, 2003 36 Skater,1998 37 OuterLimits, B-Class race 28 Magnum
    Port Charlotte, FL
    Folow your manuf guidlines.

Never spend money for fuels of a higher octane that is required by the compression ratio,
    or super/turbo charging of the engine. If you do, you are just burning your money.

For fuels with an octane rating below 100, the octane rating is simply stating, that this
    mixture will perform in terms of compressibility, the same a fuel with the same ration of
    iso-octane and heptane.

Iso-octane is hydrocarbon and an alkane, 2,2,4-Trimethylpentane, an octane isomer
    which defines the 100 point on the octane rating scale.

Heptane is a straight chain hydrocarbon and an alkane, which defines the 100 point on the
    octane rating scale

87 octane rating fuel, performs (compression/detonation) same as 87% iso-octane and 13% heptane mixture.
    93 octane rating fuel, performs (compression/detonation) same as 93% iso-octane and 7% heptane mixture.

Octane rating does not correlate to the energy content of the fuel!

It is simply a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than
    exploding in an uncontrolled manner. In other words, how much it can me compressed,
    until it detonated (explodes).

FYI: Where the octane number is raised by blending in ethanol, energy content per
    volume is reduced.
    Frank Fasulo
    2004 Stingray 230LX
    Canon 7D | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Thousands of pictures at

Platinum Member Platinum Member ROTAX454's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1998 Awesome 31 Thundercat
    Riverview, Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Whatever your engine manual says to run!

Probably 87 for those motors and if so, there is NO benefit to running the slow burn higher octane fuels and in fact may lose some performance as others say. Whatever you run, make sure you buy it from a reputable place (fresh and clean). And use it up. If you must store it...stabilize it.
    Now there is some sound advice. Use it.

My Boats:

Thumbs up Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveFun View Post
    Whatever your motor was designed to run on. Its a pure waste of money to use premium if your motor was designed for 87 or 89

Registered VIP Member
    My Boats:
    1998 Scarab
    Long Island, NY
    My truck says to use 87 and if I use 87, my truck sounds like a diesel just my experience

Charter Member Charter Member bowtie's Avatar
    New Jersey
    TexomaPowerboater;3465281]Premium. Boats often sit for long periods of time without use. If you run 87 you will increase the risk of detonation. Its cheap insurance. Also, if your running a boat that has sat for longer than a month you should stay off the throttles until you get some fresh gas in there.

Makes sense. Fuel loses it's octane when it sits. Even though using a higher octane than recommended doesn't benefit performance it will retain more octane over the time you're not using your boat. If you use your boat daily it doesn't matter but if your tank lasts a month it's worth using the higher octane.

Gold Member Gold Member Turbojack's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona
    Houston, TX, USA
    I may have the wrong motor. I think this motor runs slower with 93 then 87. The ecm would run the motor just before detonation. With 93 the ecm would not see any sign of detonation from the knock sensor and would think the knock sensor was bad, and run with reduce timing, thus giving less performance that 87 octane.

My Boats:
    1999 Pantera 24 Sport
    I used to run the minimum octane required(87) but with todays questionable fuel I run 89 just to play it safe. Cheap insurance IMO.

VIP Member VIP Member JWoolever's Avatar
    My Boats:
    29 Baja Outlaw
    Williamsburg, MI
    All I have gotton from running higher octane than 87 is added soot on the back of the boat, I will put some 91 the first tank of the season to add to last years fuel to compensate for octane loss from sitting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast