Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Has anyone else had to pay for... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259301-has-anyone-else-had-pay.html)

Famous Tater 08-01-2011 02:25 PM

Has anyone else had to pay for...

Hey peeps...

Has anyone else had to pay for having a trailer set up for their boat AFTER you just purchased the trailer and spent thousands of dollars with the company??? Just bought a new 2011 trailer and tried adjusting everything myself and while it is better than it was...it's still not as good as it should be. Called today (Ed's Marine in Ashland, VA) and they said they could do it, for another $250 bucks! They have nickled & dimed me to death already, down to the $30 adapter I needed for the brakes. Said everything was extra! Has anyone else had to pay?? Common practice??

Thanks for the input!!!!

vindicator101 08-02-2011 12:07 AM

It was my experience when I was looking for a new trailer that if the seller was equipped to transfer and adjust the trailer they would do it for free, of coarse there are sellers/suppliers that are just the middle man between the trailer builder and the customer and couldn't do it even if you wanted them to.
IMO Ed's should have offered to do it for free but it's also something you probably should have asked about up front.
If it's a Road King trailer and you're having to pay anyway but don't want to give any more to Ed's, give Harbour Marine in Norfolk a call tell them your situation and see what they can do. They're good people and can get your boat on there right.

Harbour Marine
4401 Pretty Lake Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23518
Phone - 757-961-9411

Sydwayz 08-02-2011 07:01 AM

Well, Ed's Marine is probably THE most expensive place to buy anything marine in the Richmond area. They are convenient to get to which the only reason I stop in there. So, I'm not surprised.

If you can get your hands on a big floor or bottle jack, a bunch of concrete blocks, and a couple pieces of 2x4, you can suspend the boat above the trailer, and do the work yourself.

racer-x6 08-02-2011 07:31 AM

I can see it both ways, if they asked in the beginning if you wanted them to put the boat on and adjust the trailer and you said “No” then they didn’t factor in the labor to the price of the trailer.
Could be that they didn’t have much mark up in it to begin with. Now you bring it back and expect them to adjust it for the same price.
Just trying to think about things from both sides.

t500hps 08-02-2011 07:59 AM

You bought the cheapest priced trailer and are getting the cheapest level of service.....that is how Ed's does business.

I bought a new Sea Hunt last year (that Ed's sells) and although I live just 4 miles from Ed's I drove past Raleigh NC to Chatlee to buy my boat (it was cheaper by the time I got out the door).

You can pay Ed's or another service center or keep experimenting yourself. I've even had a wrecker lift a boat onto a trailer, they might be able to sling your boat above the bunks so you can see what needs to be moved.

soldier4402 08-02-2011 08:02 AM

If you buy a brand new boat with a trailer the, it should be ready to go, or at least spelled out. Now you by something used all is fair. But I would hate spending 40-50-100k on a brand new boat to have them say by the way your trailer isn't set up that will cost you another 300 bucks, ehhh I dont know about that.

Famous Tater 08-02-2011 11:32 AM

"You bought the cheapest priced trailer and are getting the cheapest level of service.....that is how Ed's does business."

Well...I don't feel like I bought the "cheapest" trailer. Was more expensive than any other trailer I looked at around here but, thanks for your opinion. I will agree that tservice sucks!
They are certainly not very accomodating after the sale!

I may just keep messing with it myself? I was able to get it better than it was initially so I can probably get it right thru trial-and -error. Luckily, I have a boat ramp at my disposal so I was able to take measurements and then unload trailer, adjust, then reload. Did that 3 times but tide was high so it was easy! Thanks guys for your feedback.

delsol 08-02-2011 05:01 PM

sydwayz has the right idea -- 2 bottle jacks and some wood blocks -- make sure you have a spotter -- much easier--
block the bow up a bit off the front bunks, then move the 2 bottle jacks to the stern corners and lift slightly. Align your bunks to where they need to be -- tighten-- and lower jacks, then lower bow.
I wouldn't dunk it to do it -- to messy and time consuming. not to mention boat usually isn't sitting right when it is floating and trailer is not. needs to be in trailering position. Make sure boat is sitting exactly where you want it to ride.

Dave