Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Has anyone tryed this "poor mans ac"?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259321-has-anyone-tryed-poor-mans-ac.html)

Dkahnjob 08-02-2011 12:25 AM

I am active on an airplane list for Beechcraft owners and this subject has been discussed in great depth because it is very much an issue in airplanes too
This is what many have gone to with very good results.

www.B-kool.net

This system does use an ice chest, but it has a heat exchanger in it so it is not just blowing the air over the ice, but through the heat exchanger, so it acts like refrigerated air.
The cooler weighs 10 pounds and you can put up to 20 pounds of ice, either block or cube and mix in water. 20 pounds of ice will provide 2 hours of 40 degree air. Not bad for $349.00

BIGSLOW 08-02-2011 12:38 AM

small window unit and small portable generator sitting on your swim platform.

There is a guy in our club with a Powerquest 290 that plugs his shore power into a small honda generator on his swim platform and runs his built in A/C off of it. It pulls river water across a heat exchanger and cools the cabin really well.

JRider 08-02-2011 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss (Post 3467496)
Dry ice would be awesome until the CO2 displaced the O2 and you woke up dead

Call me an idiot but I did not have a clue that carbon dioxide was dangerous. I knew carbon monoxide is dangerous but I guess any gas that would thin out the oxygen to slim to none would be dangerous.

Dean Ferry 08-02-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3467406)
Those cooler air conditioners do not work. I made one out of two 12 brushless motors and created a new lid for the cooler. Filled the cooler full of ice and put it in the interior of my project truck (in my garage). The interior before turning on the cooler AC was 81.4. After 1 hour the ice was 1/2 melted and the aire tmep was still 81.4...... All I can see it does is pulles hot air into the cooler and melts the ice....

Plus I had read bad reviews all over the internet on how they don't work, so I decided to make one to test the theory. It seemed the faster I moved the air, the fast it melted the ice, but the warmer the air coming out was. I tried configuring the fans as a push/pull, both pushing air and both pulling air. Pretty much same result.....

I had figured if my trial showed any reduction in air temp, I would buy the professionally made unit, but since I so now difference after an hour figured I would save my money..... Definately post your results. Because if they do actually work it is a cheap alternative.

Guys,
I too tried one of these "Kooleraire" Cooler based A/C units..... I just returned it, it couldn't even cool down the interior of our little KIA RIO car! I tried full of ice, blocks of ice, you name it, it didn't work. IT only has a 500cfm fan on it, it can't move enough air to make it work. Hope you guys have better luck than I did...
Dean

Twin O/B Sonic 08-02-2011 07:42 AM

Yep. Having a smaller offsore/cuddy down here in Fla and spending nights on the hook I would like to have AC but like the electric cars, it ain't here yet.
There are currently companies building DC powered units that look pretty good until you study the fine print. You will need two "house batteries" (I don't have room for) and according to my math if you set the unit to it's lowest setting @ 11:00 PM you will wake up to dead batteries and a hot cabin by approx 5:00 AM.
I tried a small portable generator in my dinghy behind a cruiser I used to have ;) It was too small to power anything.

290enticer 08-02-2011 08:21 AM

well, i figured the water will be much cooler down deep, i can pull water from 20-30 feet down if i can find a pump that will pull it. maybe i can look into the cabin hatch unit and run it from a converter, i have plenty of room to add onto my house bank..need to explore all options. Looks like im not the only one looking for a cooler cabin!!

soldier4402 08-02-2011 08:39 AM

if the air is really hot in the cabin to start I would think the ice would melt really quick

TexomaPowerboater 08-02-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 3467658)
Guys,
I too tried one of these "Kooleraire" Cooler based A/C units..... I just returned it, it couldn't even cool down the interior of our little KIA RIO car! I tried full of ice, blocks of ice, you name it, it didn't work. IT only has a 500cfm fan on it, it can't move enough air to make it work. Hope you guys have better luck than I did...
Dean

+1, I tried it in my crew cab truck and wouldn't even cool it down at night.

zemaestro 08-02-2011 09:17 AM

I second the generator on the swim platform idea. Honda 2000 watt has proven itself time and time again. You would still have to find a used marine a/c unit to mount under the birth, which Im sure you could pick up used for a song. If you dont like that idea, you could pick up a 5000+ btu window unit at a yard sale for $25 and mount it to the hatch using scrap lumber, liquid nails and drywall screws (stainless of course). Whilst underway Im sure you could duct the air in such a way to either provide rearward thrust, or venilate the bottom, both capable of serious performance increases. I just dont think pulling water off the bottom through even a car radiator would cut it, but you should try it anyway...

TexomaPowerboater 08-02-2011 09:52 AM

I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST PUTTING A GENERATOR ON THE SWIM PLATFORM FOR OVERNIGHTING. People die every year from carbon monoxide poisoining doing this.