Has anyone tryed this "poor mans ac"??

Notices

Has anyone tryed this "poor mans ac"??

Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Call me an idiot but I did not have a clue that carbon dioxide was dangerous. I knew carbon monoxide is dangerous but I guess any gas that would thin out the oxygen to slim to none would be dangerous.
You displace enough of the oxygen and drop the level down to less than 11%, you gonna die.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the dry ice could work. Put dry ice pellets in a cooler the has a coiled tube in which you would pump air through. The tube would not be open to the "dry ice air" at any point of its journey. You would have to keep the cooler sealed for leaks except for a vent since you don't want a co2 bomb.

Think I'll make one the weekend...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

what ever happened to the cruise-air portable ac units?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Call me an idiot but I did not have a clue that carbon dioxide was dangerous. I knew carbon monoxide is dangerous but I guess any gas that would thin out the oxygen to slim to none would be dangerous.
The majority of deaths when people are trapped in an avalanche are not caused by the weight of the snow, but by asphyxiation (b/c u breathe in O2 and breathe out CO2). Depending on the size of the space ur in, there will be more CO2 than O2........and then u get really sleepy!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/f...able-sale.html
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked into those units also, but we went with the red-neck air option. $89 window unit from home depot, home made shroud to fit the hatch opening. Kept the cabin at 68* in the Key West sun.

Of course you need shore power or a genny to run either of these units.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I know this subject has been beaten like a dead horse, but I have to try to cool my cabin someway. Don't have room for a generator and getting a converter big enough to run an ac unit is too expensive right now, not concidering the cost of the ac unit itself. I have been thinking of making this and see if it cools us down any.. Take a blower motor and a heater core and pipe cool (lake) water through it....Depending on the water temp it should blow out cooler than the amb temp in the cabin. Maybe there is a company that already has this setup you can buy, or maybe its a complete waste of time?? Has anyone tryed this or have heard of it before. Any suggestions on cooling the cabin during overnights?? Im all ears. I do have fans to draw cooler outside air in but still is very hot and stuffy.
Robert
Yes its pretty much the same scenario as a swamp cooler for lack of a more definitive explanation!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
what ever happened to the cruise-air portable ac units?
West marine has them now but I looked on Criags list and found one for $200.

They work great for a go fast cuddy, you do need a AC source. Like the reviews say it's loud but on our old dock that was a good thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...id=HM3_AC_0802
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I know this subject has been beaten like a dead horse, but I have to try to cool my cabin someway. Don't have room for a generator and getting a converter big enough to run an ac unit is too expensive right now, not concidering the cost of the ac unit itself. I have been thinking of making this and see if it cools us down any.. Take a blower motor and a heater core and pipe cool (lake) water through it....Depending on the water temp it should blow out cooler than the amb temp in the cabin. Maybe there is a company that already has this setup you can buy, or maybe its a complete waste of time?? Has anyone tryed this or have heard of it before. Any suggestions on cooling the cabin during overnights?? Im all ears. I do have fans to draw cooler outside air in but still is very hot and stuffy.
Robert
In order to dehumidify the air within the cabin, you will need water temp to be around 45-50 degrees. You need this cold of water in order for the coil to reach dewpoint of the air going across it.

If the water temp is above that (which most likely it will be), you will only lower the ambient temperature (sensible) and will not remove moisture (latent).

The nifty marine AC unit was the suitcase one that actually was an air conditioner that you had two hoses connected to it. It was basically a water cooled AC unit that used raw water to cool the condensor and then dumped the warm water back into the lake. 120 volt and the size of a suitcase.

I agree with the others about the ice cooler. You would need 2200 pounds of ice to accomplish 12,000 btuh of cooling.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

They work great for a go fast cuddy, you do need a AC source. Like the reviews say it's loud but on our old dock that was a good thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
We had to turn our stereos up to drown out your loud azz hatch A/C.

The 1st sign of those ice coolers not working......cheap price.

Look for a used permament mount A/C unit around 6000BTU (to avoid storage issues) and a Honda 1000 gen. and you are good to go, plus you have the abilty to run other AC items.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.