Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   HEADERS: Lighting,CMI,Hardin,etc (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259424-headers-lighting-cmi-hardin-etc.html)

rchuntlsl 08-03-2011 10:08 PM

My buddy's cmis just leaked for a second time in 5 months. The first time it toasted a 525, he has them pressure tested every time he gets the oil changed. Guess what? Same header, same place that cmi just repaired leaking again. Guess what? Cmi does not warranty any repairs they do. Great company. 5 months on their repair and won't stand behind their product. Says everything doesn't it.

Raylar 08-04-2011 12:24 AM

Easy to answer question> You've got Kieth Eickert engines, use his beautiful 4 tube sweeper cast headers. they make great power. look great and they don't leak! Easy answer!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

FIXX 08-04-2011 12:54 AM

Fixx

Stellings or KE header manifolds period! :drink:

Cmi uses 316 SS welding rod on their headers and stelling uses 317 SS welding rod on their headers..317 rod is better in salt water and less prone to crack..

scroll down and read about it..

http://www.alcaminc.com/stainless-inconel-monel.html

BONDO10 08-04-2011 06:11 AM

Can the same tailpipes be used if going from CMI,s to Stellings? Are they a direct fit replacement? Thanks

4195 08-04-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3469641)
Easy to answer question> You've got Kieth Eickert engines, use his beautiful 4 tube sweeper cast headers. they make great power. look great and they don't leak! Easy answer!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Ray I am running the boat in salt water will that be a problem for all aluminum header? Are they coated? As far as Stellings go I heard they are no longer producing headers, anyone else hear that?

scarabman 08-04-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4195 (Post 3469739)
Ray I am running the boat in salt water will that be a problem for all aluminum header? Are they coated? As far as Stellings go I heard they are no longer producing headers, anyone else hear that?

I have 11 yrs (knock on wood) on my KE,s in a salt water enviroment. Still going!!!!!!!!:drink:

Redmen666 08-04-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4195 (Post 3469739)

I have CMI Gen X on my rear/port motor, second set, first set leaked, cracked and pitted after only 3 hours of use. i'm done with CMI, so another local O.L. guy here on Long Island recommended Stellings, he claims no problems. I called Stellings yesterday requesting information. Apparently, they are phasing out their header product. They are hand made and and family run/owned, they phasing out due to age and retirement of skilled staff. But, are still willing to mfg. custom headers for the near future. She quoted $6,000 per motor. That is heavy........

SS930 08-04-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Redmen666 (Post 3469769)
I have CMI Gen X on my rear/port motor, second set, first set leaked, cracked and pitted after only 3 hours of use. i'm done with CMI, so another local O.L. guy here on Long Island recommended Stellings, he claims no problems. I called Stellings yesterday requesting information. Apparently, they are phasing out their header product. They are hand made and and family run/owned, they phasing out due to age and retirement of skilled staff. But, are still willing to mfg. custom headers for the near future. She quoted $6,000 per motor. That is heavy........

Still cheaper than buying multiple sets of CMI's or gernading an engine! Get them while they're still making them! :drink:

A.O. Razor 08-04-2011 08:57 AM

Just to throw this in the mix. What about the Hardin headers? Good or bad?

TWIN-SPINS 08-04-2011 10:25 AM

i have 525 direct replacements from hardin,,,made by lighting,,,you can use the cmi tailpipes,,,frank dont know your head bolt pattern,,,on the 675,s by KEITH ,,,but iam very happy with them so far,,,