If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Jim Dyke...............

So i was driving down sunnyside road in my work truck in Vermilion, Ohio pass Jim Dykes shop. I notice a half uncovered V-bottom "Popeye" boat, The only v-bottom Popeye boat I was familiar with at the time was the old school cigarette popeye that Visconci owned back in the day. So I pull over to get a better look at it and there is this guy on a riding lawn mower, i proceed to ask the fella about the boat and I believe he said it was a 41 fountain popeye boat. He started telling me about it when he introduced himself as Jim Dyke, now i have heard about this guy on OSO mostly and love the history about this guy, Great rigger, great racer, great all around guy a man who knows the business. He proceeds to ask me if i want to take a tour of his shop, I said hell yah! In the meantime while walking across his grass to the shop i'm thinking to myself damn this guys mowing his own grass he must not have much to do. I walk in his shop, and as he starts showing me and my partner around, i see his guys busy as hell working away and he's out mowing the grass! I would just like to say thank you Jim, you didn't know me from Adam and you took time out of your busy day to do that. What a CLASS act! I have been a offshore freak from the age of 10 growing up watchin Copper Kettle and the gang of boats battling Lake Erie. I would love to work for this guy if I was on my death bed! Once again thank you Jim Dyke for doing that!
    Last edited by bobo1; 08-02-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Very cool, class act!

VIP Member VIP Member
    Great story!

He also showed me the process in vacuum bagged "Airship" he builds. What a awesome ribbed boat, second to none!

great story

Platinum Member Platinum Member cougarman's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1986 Cougar US-1 46'
    Jim is a great guy and great for the industry too.

Worked with him for some time, and you nailed it.
    Just doesn't get any better .....Class act!

"If some is good, more is better.
    And to much is just enough."
    ----Carroll Shelby