Notices

Fuel tank leaking

Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS I recall.....

Jimmy Johns (yes the sub master) had a fuel leak in his brand new 42 OL 05-06 and had to cut the floor out to repair when it was down at LOTO. Not sure if bladders or alum.

I assume OL paid for that in full.

MILWAUKEE 2005

Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Probably should have gotten with O.L. seven years ago whe this condition began. I sure could not operate a boat with gasoline fumes/smell for that long.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

As a former employee of Ol. We did not know of any issues with atl fuel cells back in 04 Every boat built with the cell in them had a fuel smell from permeation especially if the full cover was left on. Once the fuel changed it caused havoc not only in Ol's but in other high end boats.
In short dont leave fuel untreated in a bladder or tank for extended amount of time and not expect issues down the rode
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

I have owned over 12 boats, of them a hustler broken tank. Then 3 skaters all needed tanks leaked out sides. Have had 3 outerlimits lucky so far no problems.You cant beat up any boat manufacture they dont intentionally build sub standerd products. Skater has had over 100 tank failures and no one says much.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sv43BB
I have owned over 12 boats, of them a hustler broken tank. Then 3 skaters all needed tanks leaked out sides. Have had 3 outerlimits lucky so far no problems.You cant beat up any boat manufacture they dont intentionally build sub standerd products. Skater has had over 100 tank failures and no one says much.
How about Yellowfin, and Bertram just to add a few.

You smell gas in a boat and you do nothing??? You smell gas in your new lambo and still drive it??

Come on.....
Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

Ya. I Agree. Cant Get On On Post Stuff That Is Not Totally Fair Thats All.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catastrophe
You state that since DAY 1 you noticed the smell.
Maybe there is more to this than the obvious.

I agree that the change in fuel that may be the cause of this cant be the responsibility of OL.

But saying that, I think that OL ( when they first discovered the effects of ethanol on their tanks) should have sent a bulletin to all their customers and to all the boat dealers that may be dealing with their used boats stating the problem.

The heads up would surely have been a good corporate move for safety reasons and also would have given those affected a chance to remedy their problem during non boating months so that they didnt lose a boating season that in a lot of cases is fairly short.
U old fart, U do come up w/ some reasonable logic 1's in awhile!!! I agree!