Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   hp500 carb cant find timing mode wire! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259735-hp500-carb-cant-find-timing-mode-wire.html)

SlowPlay 08-07-2011 05:18 PM

hp500 carb cant find timing mode wire!

Ok im beating my head against the table here! I have a 95 HP 500 carb with the thunderbolt dist. with 2 wires coming off it (white/red and white/green).

everything i have seen says there is a purple/white wire you need to ground. I have no purple/white wire. Every wiring diagram i have seen does not match what i have either.

does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 95 hp500 so i can verify this thing? The PO replaced the motors so there is a chance its wired incorrectly.

i have a wierd feeling that its already in timing mode because if you run the throttle up the timing doesnt change.....im pretty sure it should kick the advance once over 3k.

can anyone point me in the right direction...or atleast point me to some wiring diagrams for this motor?

thanks

FIXX 08-07-2011 05:45 PM

Fixx

Originally Posted by SlowPlay (Post 3472112)
Ok im beating my head against the table here! I have a 95 HP 500 carb with the thunderbolt dist. with 2 wires coming off it (white/red and white/green).

everything i have seen says there is a purple/white wire you need to ground. I have no purple/white wire. Every wiring diagram i have seen does not match what i have either.

does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 95 hp500 so i can verify this thing? The PO replaced the motors so there is a chance its wired incorrectly.

i have a wierd feeling that its already in timing mode because if you run the throttle up the timing doesnt change.....im pretty sure it should kick the advance once over 3k.

can anyone point me in the right direction...or atleast point me to some wiring diagrams for this motor?

thanks

not needed for that engine pkg..just set the timing like you do on a car..read the numbers on the module,if it reads v8 20 then set timing @ 12* + the 20 * = 32* total..

SlowPlay 08-07-2011 06:10 PM

well doesnt that just make my life so much easier!

thanks!

Griff 08-08-2011 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3472124)
not needed for that engine pkg..just set the timing like you do on a car..read the numbers on the module,if it reads v8 20 then set timing @ 12* + the 20 * = 32* total..

X2

That year will have a TB IV ignition and you do not need to put it into base timing mode.
It should have a V8-HP module which gives 20* advance by 3000rpms. Set base timing at 12-14* and check timing at 3000+rpms.

SlowPlay 08-08-2011 11:34 AM

what should it read at 3k? its reading 13 for me. the timimg doesnt move as you up the rpms

FIXX 08-08-2011 04:13 PM

Fixx

Originally Posted by SlowPlay (Post 3472645)
what should it read at 3k? its reading 13 for me. the timimg doesnt move as you up the rpms

it wont move until it hits the 3000 rpm + mark,, if using a regular timing light their should be another mark on the balancer for the total * mark..