Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
hp500 carb  cant find timing mode wire! >

hp500 carb cant find timing mode wire!

Notices

hp500 carb cant find timing mode wire!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp500 carb cant find timing mode wire!

Ok im beating my head against the table here! I have a 95 HP 500 carb with the thunderbolt dist. with 2 wires coming off it (white/red and white/green).

everything i have seen says there is a purple/white wire you need to ground. I have no purple/white wire. Every wiring diagram i have seen does not match what i have either.

does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 95 hp500 so i can verify this thing? The PO replaced the motors so there is a chance its wired incorrectly.

i have a wierd feeling that its already in timing mode because if you run the throttle up the timing doesnt change.....im pretty sure it should kick the advance once over 3k.

can anyone point me in the right direction...or atleast point me to some wiring diagrams for this motor?

thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by SlowPlay
Ok im beating my head against the table here! I have a 95 HP 500 carb with the thunderbolt dist. with 2 wires coming off it (white/red and white/green).

everything i have seen says there is a purple/white wire you need to ground. I have no purple/white wire. Every wiring diagram i have seen does not match what i have either.

does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 95 hp500 so i can verify this thing? The PO replaced the motors so there is a chance its wired incorrectly.

i have a wierd feeling that its already in timing mode because if you run the throttle up the timing doesnt change.....im pretty sure it should kick the advance once over 3k.

can anyone point me in the right direction...or atleast point me to some wiring diagrams for this motor?

thanks
not needed for that engine pkg..just set the timing like you do on a car..read the numbers on the module,if it reads v8 20 then set timing @ 12* + the 20 * = 32* total..
Old 08-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

well doesnt that just make my life so much easier!

thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
not needed for that engine pkg..just set the timing like you do on a car..read the numbers on the module,if it reads v8 20 then set timing @ 12* + the 20 * = 32* total..
X2

That year will have a TB IV ignition and you do not need to put it into base timing mode.
It should have a V8-HP module which gives 20* advance by 3000rpms. Set base timing at 12-14* and check timing at 3000+rpms.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

what should it read at 3k? its reading 13 for me. the timimg doesnt move as you up the rpms

Last edited by SlowPlay; 08-08-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by SlowPlay
what should it read at 3k? its reading 13 for me. the timimg doesnt move as you up the rpms
it wont move until it hits the 3000 rpm + mark,, if using a regular timing light their should be another mark on the balancer for the total * mark..