Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gen V 502 rebuild and tweaking. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259793-gen-v-502-rebuild-tweaking.html)

Young Performance 08-11-2011 04:54 PM

I guess the post with the comment about me inventing this and that wasn't you? For some reason you are trying to piss me off. I never claimed to invent anything. Just showing what I did that I thought was pretty cool. If you don't, then keep your opinions to yourself.
As for the rods, I don't think they are worth messing with. That's my opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine. That's your opinion. I present that same scenario to customers daily and 95% of them choose to go with the aftermarket rods. That's where that comment comes from. I let them make the choice to spend that $100. Personally, I think you would be foolish to not replace them for that little bit on money. Again, my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.
As for the second gapless ring, they go in just about every engine I build. Since none of them come back in pieces, I would think that something must be right. I have been using them for well over 10 years, in blower apps. You have no idea what you are talking about on this one.
I don't recall the over/under balance, but I suppose it is possible that I made a mistake. I have been known to make one or two. I guess that never happened to you.
As for the lifters, my exact words were that I don't see a big problem with it. I didn't recommend it. He was asking if it was possible. The reply that Bob made was that he would advise against it. That doesn't mean he can't nor does it mean that it won't work. It's not ideal and he knew that.
Vortec heads.....go port a set and let me know how well it goes. I have the upmost respect for Mark Boos and I would bet that he would tell you same thing. He's tried it in the past and it didn't work. He has told me so. Just like the rods.... not worth it. For what you will spend working them you can replace them with something better.
Somehow you manage to twist my words around to mean what you want them to mean. I about tired of it and your smartass remarks. Ya barking up the wrong tree. I certainly do not have a problem being corrected if I make a mistake. I'm human and it happens. However, if something is my opinion, it's my opinion. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it wrong. Maybe you shouldn't bother posting more often.
Eddie

wannabe 08-11-2011 05:30 PM

Dart Iron eagle heads can be had at good prices.

Wannabe

HaxbySpeed 08-11-2011 05:31 PM

This is getting good.. Guess I struck a nerve. Maybe we should start another thread to discuss it in greater detail, or wait a couple more months till boating season is over and everyone needs some entertainment.

Are you sure Mark wasn't talking about big block vortec's? I know how much of a gain can be had from even a really good valve job on a sbc vortec. Ask any circle track racer.. But what do I know, how dare I question the all knowing Eddie. I think there might be a little Sunkin in you..

brian41 08-11-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by brivander (Post 3472743)
Ok guys I've been seeing low oil pressure on my gev V 502, it started life as an OMC spitfire ignition engine but now sports a standard style distributor etc. I'm going to have it pulled and rebuilt, but while it's out maybe warming it up a bit. The motor already has stainless marine manifolds on it and was thinking about simply taking .020 of the heads and putting a mild cam in it to get to about 500 HP -- nothing crazy. Also maybe changing it over to a roller motor, are there bolt in kits for this?

Any suggestions/specs/etc. would be helpfull!

Let's hear your ideas, GO!

I am in your back yard and build most of the fastest boats in our area. Go to my site and you should recognize most of them.

brivander 08-11-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed (Post 3476542)
This is getting good.. Guess I struck a nerve. Maybe we should start another thread to discuss it in greater detail, or wait a couple more months till boating season is over and everyone needs some entertainment.

Are you sure Mark wasn't talking about big block vortec's? I know how much of a gain can be had from even a really good valve job on a sbc vortec. Ask any circle track racer.. But what do I know, how dare I question the all knowing Eddie. I think there might be a little Sunkin in you..

I take it back.

brivander 08-11-2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by brian41 (Post 3476561)
I am in your back yard and build most of the fastest boats in our area. Go to my site and you should recognize most of them.

Yeah somebody told me about you at my marina -- a guy with a sunsation at the humbug rack n' launch (I'm pretty sure they put my Liberator right next to him to give me little pp syndrome :) ).

PM me your # and we can talk.

I'm not looking for super fast, I'm looking for solid a reliable performance, I have no delusions that this is a fast hull, nor do I want 600 horsepower since I don't even know if my hull can handle that kind of speed, I'm guessing no. Bob @ Marine Kinetics has been more than helpful so far and hasn't tried to push anything on me.. I mean a lot of this is theoretical until I get my magnaflux results and I'm not going to decide on anything firmly until then. Once I know that I can actually put some decisions in concrete.

I'll do the heads if mine require major work, if my crank is bad, I'll stroke it etc etc. I don't want a fire breathing 540+ c.u. motor, but I'd gladly take one that will make 500+ horse on a mild cam, idle at 700, and cruise all day at 2800 rpm so I can still do pleasure boating, tubing, cruising, and the occasional time where I throw on water ski's.

If I was looking to set speed records, this just ain't the right boat, but it's in my price range (even with all this work), rides phenomenal for it's size and is generally comfortable for my family trust me if I wanted a fire breather I would have bought it.

<group hug>

brian41 08-12-2011 01:47 PM

Had a long talk with a mutual friend this morning and Haxbyspeed is spot on here and a reputable builder.In my years on OSO I never really followed Eddie's post's but thought he was one of the big shooters......my mistake.

brivander 08-12-2011 07:49 PM

We've talked about a lot here (and somethings a little off subject :)), but what about a good intake?

Factory carb is a Holley 850 vacuum secondaries (which I have) and I have a Holley 850 mechanical secondaries on it now. Any opinions either way and a good intake to match would be appreciated.

Also if ti turns out the heads are in decent shape and don't require a lot of work, what about a higher ratio rocker and the stock cam? going to a 1.8 ratio gets about .530 lift, I would think that would net decent improvement. over stock and sure would be a cheap route...the more I think about going roller, the more expensive it's getting and I've got to draw a line somewhere...

offthefront 08-16-2011 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3474515)
call bob,,he had better cam choices then the hp 500 cam..

trust me on this one,,,search his name here..

hell yea ......#1

brivander 08-16-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by brivander (Post 3475216)
I talked to Bob today, pretty awesome guy, seemed really willing to help. Once it's completely torn down and magnafluxed we'll get back in touch and he'll help me sort through the combination.

Originally Posted by offthefront (Post 3480548)
hell yea ......#1

I'm on it guys! :)