Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Alarm for Cockpit & Cabin Any Suggestions >

Alarm for Cockpit & Cabin Any Suggestions

Notices

Alarm for Cockpit & Cabin Any Suggestions

Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the alarm this afternoon and was about ready to install it. As I read the directions, I realized you have to be an authorized "Python/Viper" installer to activate the GSM Monitoring and txt feature (know as "Smart Start")....... So I took it up the a local installer to have it installed.

I did a trial install with the proximity sensor and it works great. As soon as you walk between the 2 front seats the alarm goes off.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rigged a system in a boat with a peper spray system once. It was just for the stereo. If the system was armed and you opened that door you got a face full of the stuff.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mackattack
My German shepherd is the best alarm I have ever owned.

I have 2 beagles, enough said.

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
They have a cheap portable with a motion detector battery operated they step on the boat it goes off!Good when you go on vacation also!Got one for my mother inlaw on line!~

I need a permanent solution that will notify me of an alarm, no matter where I am. (Boat is stored in water or on trailer in boat yard).

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
I rigged a system in a boat with a peper spray system once. It was just for the stereo. If the system was armed and you opened that door you got a face full of the stuff.

It would be my luck, I would forget to disarm and get a facefull .
Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Got the alarm installed and the Cell Phone Text option is nice. The alarm sends a text to my cell phone when the alarm is set off. It takes, on average, about 45 seconds from the time the alarm goes of until I receive the text. I am able to arm/disarm the alarm from anywhere I have a cell signal. This is the good.

Now for the Bad......
The proximity sensor is designed for use in automobiles, this creates a problem. The "waves" the proximity sensor uses are able to penetrate the fiberglass. Therefore it can see through the hull. So any movements beside or even under the boat seem to set off the "warn away" portion. (The warn away is just a few chirps). Even though the warn away goes off when you walk by the boat, it won't fully go off until you get in the cockpit. I was doing some reading and I see there is a wire for the "outside, warn away' circuit and a wire for the "inside, trigger" zone. So my theory here is to clip the "outside" zone wire. While the proximity sensor will still function as normal, the alarm itself will not give the 4 warn away chirps. At least I think this is how it will work. So I will give it a try tomorrow to see. I definately don't want the alarm chirping everytime some one walks by it or a fish swims by........ Just when someone actually gets in it.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered

Well it appears the Proximity sensor is not going to work..... It is either too sensitive where it sees trees moving through the cover or I turn it down and a tank could drive through it without triggering the alarm. Proximity sensors rely on a metal chassis/body to contain the "field". So now on to plan "B". I will be installing a "normally closed" magnet sensor on the cabin door, and one under each of the 3 seat cushions on the back seat and a pin switch on the glove box door. Obviously if someone is breaking into the boat they are going to open the cabin door and/or flip up the back seat and probably go for the glove box. At least this is what they did last week....... Also this way I can almost rule out "false alarms" because there will be no motion or shock sensors, which usually cause the false alarms...........
Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

So I was able to add the magnetic loop on the cabin door. If the door is opened more than 1" the alrm will sound instantly. I had plans to put the magnetic loops under each of the 3 bench cushion, but Because we flip those seats up often, I am afraid the magnetic pickup will get damaged. If damaged the whole circuit would be bypassed until replaced. So for now I skipped the sensors under the cushions. Not valuable is stored under there anyway. I have plans to put a "mercury" switch on the underside of the engine hatch, the same way they are installed on a car/truck hood. This will set the alarm off if anyone tries to lift the engine hatch (to cut battery cables). I am also going to install a small 12v back up battery for the alram. That way if a thief is sucessful in getting to my battteries, the alarm will still sound and I will receive notification via text. If the thief is smart enough to flip up the rear bench seat and shut off my batteries, the alarm will still sound as it is directly wired to the batteries.

This all may sound like overkill, but for a few extra hours of woork and under $500 I think it is money/time well spent. I realize insurance will pay for any damage or theft, it is still a giant pain in the a$$ when someone breaks in. Usually they do major damage, and interior work isn't something that can be fixed in a few days. With such short seasons in Michigan, it would really suck if a thief got in the boat and spent any amount of time "removing" my stereo system, the damage to my brand new interior would be terrible....
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered

Someone sent me a PM in regards to the Alarm for my boat. I deleted it by accident and don't remember the screen name........
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Um... some details on this set-up??
Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can wire one of these in they are helpful. There are two styles that I know of, one like this with the magnet and another style that has a button thing that sticks up and the button pushes it down.

Bottom line is you put in a few of these in sections of your cockpit cover that have to be released in order to get in the cockpit and are good to go.

http://www.columbiaboatalarms.com/CanvasSnapSensor.htm
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
If you can wire one of these in they are helpful. There are two styles that I know of, one like this with the magnet and another style that has a button thing that sticks up and the button pushes it down.

Bottom line is you put in a few of these in sections of your cockpit cover that have to be released in order to get in the cockpit and are good to go.

http://www.columbiaboatalarms.com/CanvasSnapSensor.htm
I don't have snaps on my cover, so I'd have to put some other kind of sensor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.