Thank You Waterfoul for your expertise and help >

Thank You Waterfoul for your expertise and help

Notices

Thank You Waterfoul for your expertise and help

Old 06-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank You Waterfoul for your expertise and help

Thanks Mike (Waterfoul) for your expertise and help last night. I know you are very busy and I appreciate the time and dedication ( even got a speeding ticket racing to my house) to help me with my outdrive.

One gimbal pivot bolt had stripped out of the gimbal housing and I was nervous about tackling it myself

Well, thanks to Waterfoul it is fixed.

We did it last night in 2.5 hrs!

After we removed the outdrive I released the clamp in the drive bellows at the transom. and removed the nut from the shifter cable holdown. this allowed the gimbal housing to be pulled back, streatching the other bellows a little, easily about 3 " to access the bolt hole/threads.

We made a drill guide out of a solid delron cylinder. We used the delron guide to drill squarely. then I tapped it by hand using a little gun oil (I had some gun oil since I am one of those west Mich sofistikatid rednecks and since I forget the tap oil from work)

Tap centered well after a couple finessed attempts. We turned in the stainless Helicoil with red locktite, and then after assembly, turned in the bolt with locktite too. I had a large allen wrench and with my calibrated elbow, attempted 100-150 ft-lbs of torque.

We did not replace any seals, we put a little silicone on the water and oil seals o rings. I feel good about the fix except I will watch for water in the outdrive oil and maybe remove the drive bellows clamp later in the season and check for water in there as well. I keep the boat at home out of the water.

We also lubed the drive shaft u joints. they moved very freely but had just a touch of surface rust on them???????? '88 boat? I think they looked ok. and moved very freely with no chuck

a couple things we learned

1) if you put a piece of metal flashing between the housing and the bellows, you can drill and tap safely without cutting into the bellows, - worked good

2) two men and a truck pulling hard enough to remove an outdrive will eventually tear the speedo tube and the drive COMES RIGHT OFF AT THAT POINT

I JUST FIXED AND HAD OPERATING MY SPEEDO FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST WEEK!! now I need a new hose, oh well

3) If one trim cylinder is extended longer than the other when you go to re-attach them (?????? how'd that happen???), you can attach the shorter one, lift on the outdrive, and the other retracts, they share the same volume of hyd fluid.

4) Working on my boat in my new dry, well lit, warm pole barn with a good friend, some music cranking, and a couple beers brought out by my lovely wife was actually fun. If broken boats is all that troubles me in life. I think I have it pretty good

thanks Mike (waterfoul) for all your help. and others for all the advise.

now as long as it doesn't leak, (heard too many horror stories on the board....) I am ready to observe the Smoke on the Water

Last edited by Rambunctious; 06-06-2002 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great Rob. Remember, I have done all that can be done to a boat so don't hesitate to call. I am not far and love to help. WTF is up with the 'Foul. Another ticket? He is on double secret probation as it is. I hope he can say "please don't take my driving privilage away Officer" really nice. Just kidding Mike. You can always get PLPD and assume the risk yourself. See you guys at the ramp at 9am. It is going to be a great day of fun and boats. I am still toying with taking my boat but i think it would be better to use Robs and pitch in for gas. Is $2.00 enough? I have had people ask that before. That amount was used to start one of the motors!! I will pay whatever you want up to $50
Old 06-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

hey mitch, a few more generous riders like you and we can ENTER the poker run.

see you at 9:00

I'll bring the canadian labatts tall boys and the red bull 7.1% I got from Sarnia last Monday!!
Old 06-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This board is great. You can see the love. It brings tears to my eyes. Great job guys!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Registered

Glad to hear it's back together, too bad about the speedo tube, but oh well easy fix. What did you mean by two guys and a truck pulling, was the drive that hard to get off?? and if it was did you check the drive alignment, and get it to slip on nice and easy when you were finished?
Old 06-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Registered

that was my point.

it pulled away about to the end of the bolt threads, then we pulled and tugged and groaned and it wouldn't budge.......then we counted one...two...three.... ARGGGGGGGG...... and P.O.P.!! the speedo tube broke and we fell on our butts. funny site to see.

sorry I guess you had to be there.

I L'dMAO

BTW it slipped right back in
Old 06-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Registered

Good to hear everything worked out for you (kinda ) Great job Waterfoul on the assist!! There truly is some great people on this board!!