Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Homemade evaporative ac system with amazing results!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259931-homemade-evaporative-ac-system-amazing-results.html)

wananewboat 08-11-2011 05:40 PM

You do have to add ice. I found this system also http://www.swampy.net/boat.html

Mbam 08-11-2011 05:53 PM

Instead of the resistor for speed control, find a PWM speed control like this >

http://cgi.ebay.com/PWM-DC-MOTOR-SPE...item3cb9eee6ad

Much more efficient

290enticer 08-11-2011 05:55 PM

those units look great but mine looks even better concidering i only have 60 bucks invested and it will freeze you out!!
!!

offshoredrillin 08-11-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 290enticer (Post 3475582)
Guys, I mainly intend to use this at night. I plan to use just block ice because it lasts longer. Im gonna keep it in my spot for the frige and hopefully the ice won't melt too much through the day and if so, i will get some ice and top it back off from a marina. Money is somewhat of a factor and don't really like the idea of packing a genn and gas can around at this time, plus got the cost a the ac unit itself. Maybe will look into the idea later down the road. With the cooler in the spot where the frige usually is, its not in the way at all. Think about when you pack a cooler for the day, you are in and out of it all day and a day later its still very cold and maybe still has ice in it. Im thinking the ice really isn't gonna melt too much unit you start running the unit. I still have to wire in a 4speed switch and the resistor but will take some pics and try to get them loaded tonite.

what about putting either rock salt around the ice to keep it cold? old time ice cream makers used to put rock salt on the ice and it made the ice even colder and last longer.

Rock Salt

Adding rock salt to a slurry of ice and water lowers the temperature at which water freezes. If you added rock salt to a glass of ice and water, the ice would melt more slowly, and the general temperature of the water would go down. The reasons for this are somewhat complicated, but this simplification gives some of the pertinent details.

Basically, for ice to melt, energy must be drawn from the surrounding solution to break the hydrogen bonds that keep the ice frozen. The energy that's taken is in the form of heat, which is why ice makes the solution that it's in cold, since it's taking the heat to melt. Salt upsets the balance and makes the melting rate slower, because the ice requires more energy to melt. This draws more heat from the solution, which results in a larger temperature drop.

zemaestro 08-11-2011 06:01 PM

Congratulations on your results, I'm not hating, It is a neat concept for sure. I have no doubt that they work till the ice melts. This system, while effective will require constant monitoring...do I have enough ice? will it get me through the night...etc...I just think it would be comforting to have cold A/C and a little extra power when on the hook, on demand. I appreciate your inventiveness and enthusiasim with this project. However, it's capabilities are limited and I'm sure they have been looked at over and over again by people much more intelligent then us. There is only so much energy stored in a specific amount of ice. I also love that your cheap, I'm the king of thrifty. If you don't want to spend the loot on a honda generator, then a small 2000 watt generic generator (honeywell, kipor, ryobi, etc...) could be had for maybe $200+ used, along with a used a/c unit. You don't have to mess with gas, you already have enough of that on the boat. I'm always concerned with CO. So a dectector (or 2) would be required. Add a small removable extension to the generator to get the exhaust at or below water line and there you go....The one other idea that I had was to use an in room air conditioner, permanently mounted with the outlet ducted to the cockpit or something....that would be trick, without having to pull an a/c out and set up each time you want to be cool.

Mbam 08-11-2011 06:24 PM

PS - I think that is really a cool idea - pun intended :)

Drillin, you are correct that the salt lowers the freezing point of the solution however it does not make it melt more slowly. Yes it will lower the temp, but the ice melts to do it.

290enticer 08-11-2011 09:37 PM

yes you are right about the ice cooler, it isn't constant and probably will not last all night. I have been looking at other genns like the generac...I am finding them new for about 650-700 bucks. They are still really nice genns, having no luck in finding a used ac unit though. Im not too fond of the idea of having to pack a genn around all day and have it running sitting on the swim platform. I would love to have something more perminant on the boat but I don't have ANY room to mount a genn. I do have plenty of room for a nice ac unit in the cabin though. Maybe I should just step up to a nice big cruiser so i can have all the comfort features of home. I have two younger children, and would like to have the cabin comfortable to be able to watch a movie or take a nap during the day while mommy and daddy enjoy the sun and cold beverages.!!

zemaestro 08-12-2011 11:15 AM

My buddy bought a honda 2000 for his formula 27pc for about $500. They are supposed to be ultra reliable (I don't doubt that). If you check out The Hull Truth, there are a lot of guys whole run them instead of there onboard gensets to save them because they cost so much and do require more maintenance. They Hondas also sip fuel and I couldn't believe how quiet they are. One guy said that he went cruising in the Bahamas or something for an extended stay and couldn't believe how many he saw. I have a 7.3 onboard, and even with two a/c units I have never even loaded it near it's capacity. I stay on the hook alot and I made it 8 years on the chesapeake without a genset, just fans which made life bearable. My slickcraft seemed to magically stay pretty cool on it's own. BTW I can sell it for a song with trailer...great boat, made by tiara

290enticer 08-12-2011 05:32 PM

honda 2000?? new or used? I havent seen them for that low of a price!

Back4More 08-13-2011 10:38 PM

Thats a great idea, thanks for sharing.
I always wondered if you could pump the lake water through something like that since our water doesnt get past 70* up here.