Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Egmont Key - West FL. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25996-egmont-key-west-fl.html)

baja27 06-07-2002 10:53 AM

Hey guys, I'm thinking about coming down there for the 4th of July. Does anyone go out. My mom lives in Palm Harbor and it seems like it would be a lot of fun down there. We usally go to the Chesapeke.

CigDaze 06-07-2002 11:35 AM

The 4th of July and Boating go hand in hand....We're always out!
The 4th is right around the corner, so is Palm Harbor!:cool:

CigDaze 06-07-2002 11:40 AM

Well, this is the fourth day in a row now, right around lunchtime, that it is getting black as night, thunder can be heard faintly in the distance and it's going to pour.

I hope tomorrow is an exception...

Sure, the storms pass quickly, but it's hell being in them or going through them on the water.

baja27 06-07-2002 11:43 AM

Are there some cool bars where you can dock to. Also is there any good public ramps?:)

CigDaze 06-07-2002 11:52 AM

Hey Baja27,

Sure, there's many and of all varieties. The intercoastal is filled with them.

"Gator's" in John's Pass seems to be a boater's favorite and another is "Frenchy's" a little north towards Clearwater pass. "Mulligan's" in Blind's pass is also a good time as well as the "Wharf" near Tierre Verde.

As far as ramps, I'm not really an expert as I high&dry my boat, but many seem to prefer Ft. DeSoto Park and Gandy. I really wouldn't know what's near Palm Harbor, though. I'm sure someone will chime in. :cool:

jokerswild 06-07-2002 04:09 PM

The crazy weather patterns of florida...:mad: i've been called out servicing equipment all week!!! Anyways, bajadaze is correct, there are many cool places to dock up to, also going north from palm harbour area is hooters on the water up in new port richey. Another good ramp to launch at is Maximo, which is located next to O'neills marina, good deep water and ok parking. I'm off for a afternoon icw cruise- see ya on the water...:cool:

cuda 06-07-2002 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I got jammed on picking up the boat today. I called the salesman and he said, "Sure, come pick it up". When I got there, he got the guy from the dry storage to get it down from the rack. We went outside and the fork operator was on the phone with the marina office. Seems there is an outstanding storage bill on the boat, and they wanted payment before putting the boat on the trailer. I looked at the salesman and he said he would call the boat owner. Not only did he not want to pay the bill, now he didn't want to release the boat without a lein waiver from the bank in Md that has a loan on it. The broker has sent the bank a check he says. If it hadn't been for the storage fee, I'd be home with the boat now. :mad: Damn I'm pissed! And if you think I'm pissed, I was afraid to call Debbie and tell her about it. She called me just as I was backing the empty trailer at the house. She wanted to know if I brought HER boat home. When I told her what happened, she got so pissed she hung up on me! I'm telling you, that girl loves boats more than I do, if that's possible.

I have the interior out of the other Formula, so if we get out there tomorrow, it will be in my 18 foot open fish.:( I'll see what she wants to do when she gets home.

Here is what we may be coming in,:(

CigDaze 06-07-2002 06:09 PM

Damn Cuda!
Sorry to hear that, what a bummer! You must be pissed, looking forward to the weekend on your new boat....:(

In any event, if you should decide to bring the open fish, I still look forward to meeting you!

cuda 06-07-2002 11:36 PM

I think we should make Egmont a regular spot to go. The run across that channel will hold down the number of pontoons, jet skis, and the like. It can get downright scary crossing there in the afternoon with a strong outgoing tide and an onshore wind.

CigDaze 06-08-2002 08:22 AM

DISAPOINTED, YET FINGERS CROSSED AND HOPEFUL....

Good Morning everyone!

Well, It's about 8:00 as I type this and we are surrounded by BLACK! There was a drizzle not too long ago and quite frankly, the weather seems very confused and undecided. I have three different reports from therr different weather reports, but the general consensus is RAIN and T-STORMS coming and going for much of the day. But I'm still hopeful and planning on going out if I find a clearing in the cloud layer. :cool:

Cuda,
I know exactly what you mean. I've been making Eggmont our "place to be" on the water lately. Since Shell Key has thouroughly disgusted me of late. It's a good time at Shell, but a certain few have too good of a time...if you know what I mean. Secondly, I'm making friendly contact with the bottom way too much at Shell...When outboard flats boats get stuck, it's a recipe for disaster for an I/O offshore boat...I don't want to change impellers and repaint my skeg every week. LOL!

Eggmont's great! It's more family oriented, you find more experienced boaters there and you can get a lot of beach frontage when making landfall. And yes, it can take a special breed to make it across the channel on some days. All of which makes it for a good time!!! :D

Fingers crossed! Hope to see you guys out there!