Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Homemade evaporative ac system with amazing results!!! >

Homemade evaporative ac system with amazing results!!!

Notices

Homemade evaporative ac system with amazing results!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade evaporative ac system with amazing results!!!

I have been researching this topic for sometime and recently started building it, i started a thread on this topic and had lots of responses, just wanted to give update. This unit is built on a 48qrt cooler. It uses a 12"x12"x4" evaporator out of a lexus i got from work. It is built into a box at a slight angle with a blower motor case mounted in the rear which has an air cooled resistor with 4 speeds. Under the front of the evaporator is a drain I made from cutting pvc pipe that drains the dehumidified water back to the cooler. The ice cold water is fed to the evaporator via a 600gph bildge pump from walmart. I tested this unit out this afternoon after work. I put two frozen water bottles as well as one frozen mil jug and the rest crushed ice. I have a pq 290 enticer and the cabin was 98 degrees with ambient temp at 90. I started this unit on high the whole time and found outlet duct temp at 40 degrees via infra-red heat gun. Now...within 30min the cabin dropped to 65 degrees and i noticed the evaporator had water pouring off of it from the moist air moving through it. It ran on high for 2hours at this time all the ice was melted other than the frozen water bottles and milk jug, the water was still very cold and duct temp was at 55 degrees. This is an amazing temp drop and reduction in humidity from a home made air conditioner. If i use all frozen block ice and regulate the blower speed to low or off as needed, I believe i can have cold air all night long during overniting. I am amazed of the results. There are comanies that sell these much smaller units for $500-$600 for mainly small aircraft, and Im certain the evaporator is much smaller. I have seen some of these built on youtube with a heater core, the problem is they are too thin and will not disipate the heat like a thick ac evaporator will. I will complete the wiring with all blower speeds and do a amp draw test on the unit next time. I will try to post pics and do have several phone video clips of it running but don't know how to post them. so....what do yall think?? Im very impressed concedering I only have about $60 bucks in the whole thing and it cools the cabin down cold and fast!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

"cool" post pics....
Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys...I will take some pics and try to get them posted in this thread.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Sweet!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job! Pics!!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree, pictures required!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

very nice, pics would be cool, (No pun intended)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

What about useing dry ice instead of cubes. Or what about Blowing air over a block of Dry ice and exit out of cooler with registers. Hmm
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with dry ice is that when it "melts" in a confined space it will kill you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.