Notices

Smog Restrictions CA - AZ

Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink When in Doubt- Check it Out!

Visit this website, read and educate your self with correct information: www.epa.gov/otaq/marinesi.htm

For the original question that Andychb started the thread with, please read in CFR1045 specifically section 1045-630.

Want to really have an accurate answer for your application or plans. Just call the EPA and without using your actual name, address or boat being used, ask the direct question from a marine engine compliance officer there at the EPA and you may get the real answer for your particular situation.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 08-17-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

ran across this. read the whole thing as it applies to all even though it says outboards.

New California Emissions Law for Outboards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California Passes Emissions-Based Registration Law for Recreational Boats

Law Ties New Boat Registration with Engine Emissions Compliance

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) approved a new law on October 13 that, when implemented on July 1, 2008, will require the purchaser or retail seller of a new boat equipped with up to a 500 horsepower (hp), gasoline powered sterndrive or inboard engine to meet the state’s engine emissions requirements. Under the legislation, A.B. 695, purchasers or sellers of recreational boats that meet these requirements must provide the California Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) documentation that the engine meets the appropriate emission requirements. Engines greater than 500 hp will be required to comply starting January 1, 2009.
“The NMMA worked closely with the Southern California Marine Association (SCMA) to lobby for passage of this new law,” said Thom Dammrich, president of the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA). “This demonstrates a commitment by businesses and boaters to promote clean emission technology that will offer substantial air quality benefits to boaters and the public at large.”
The new law is designed to prevent Californians from purchasing a recreational boat outside the state with a non-compliant engine to circumvent the new emissions requirement and is similar to its vehicle registration requirements.
“For example, if you purchased and registered a boat with a 600 hp (greater than 500 hp) engine in August 2008, you would have no additional registration requirement,” said John McKnight, director of environmental and safety compliance for NMMA. “The requirement for engines greater than 500 hp does not kick in until January 1, 2009. If you purchased a new vessel with a 260 hp engine (less than 500 hp), you would have to comply with the new registration requirements anytime after July 1, 2008.”
The law has specific requirements for submitting initial applications to the California DMV. The DMV form will be revised to include instructions for the boat dealer and purchaser to check off certain boxes to self-certify that the engine is in compliance with California emission requirements.
“The retail seller and/or purchaser will be required to submit the engine emission hang tag with the application. These hang tags are required by California law to be on new engines at the time of sale,” McKnight added.
The law excludes vessels originally purchased in another state by a resident of that state who moves to California and can provide satisfactory evidence of previously having an out of state residence. The penalties for non-compliance under the new law are the same as the penalties for operating an unregistered vessel, which are set at a $250 fine.

For more information on the new requirement, please visit NMMA - NMMA - Government Relations
or contact John McKnight at (202) 737-9757;
[email protected].
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

here is another one. keep in mind that CA was allowed by the courts to set their own rules so they do not follow the EPA guideline the rest of us do.

New California Gas Stern drive/ Inboard Regulations Will Place Requirements / Liability on Boat Builders, Engine Manufacturers and Boat Dealers

Significant progress has been made by marine engine manufacturers to develop catalyst- equipped stern drive and inboard (SD/I) gasoline marine engines. These new technology engines will provide the consumer with improved performance and a significant reduction in carbon monoxide emissions. This emission technology is the result of years of development and testing on the part of engine manufacturers, the US Coast Guard, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and driven by strict exhaust emission regulations starting in California in 2008 (Indmar started in 2007 with a phase-in program) and followed nationally.

Unlike the outboard and personal watercraft emission regulations, which placed the compliance burden exclusively on the marine engine manufacturers, the compliance burden and liability for the SD/I regulation will be shared between the dealer, the boat builder and the engine manufacturer.

Fuel Hoses

Since January 1, 2007, California has required that boat builders (except those built with Indmar engines) install a low permeation fuel hose between the fuel tank and the engine on those boats where the engine was built after January 1, 2007. This hose must be marked A1-15. Both the ABYC H-24 fuel systems standard and the SAE J1527 fuel hose test method have been updated to reflect these changes.

California requires that the engine manufacturer inform the boat builder when low permeation hose must be installed. It is the boat builder’s responsibility to install the hose and the dealer’s responsibility to ensure that no boat is sold in California with an SD/I engine built after January 1, 2007, unless it has a low permeation fuel hose.

SD/I Engines

The State of California will require that, minus a few exceptions, all boats equipped with gas SD/I engines where the engine was manufactured after January 1, 2008 be equipped with catalyst technology. The exceptions will be the 4.3 liter,8.1 liter and some phased-in Indmar engines, where engine manufacturers will have an opportunity to sell a few of these engines un-catalyzed. This provision in the California rule is being provided because General Motors will stop producing the 4.3 liter and 8.1 liter after 2009. SD/I engine manufacturers will be allowed to comply with the CARB standard by maintaining a 5g/kWhr for HC+NOx over their entire engine fleet sold in California. This provision will be in place until the replacement engines for the 4.3 and 8.1 become available.

Engine manufacturers are required to certify with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) that their engines meet the appropriate model year emission standards. For example, engines built prior to January 1, 2008 will be certified to meet a 14 g/ kWhr emission limit for HC+NOx. Engines built after January 1, 2008 must be certified to meet a 5 g/kWhr emission limit for HC+NOx. In addition to certifying the engine, the engine manufacturer must affix an emission control label.

Since January 1, 2007, the boat builder is required to ensure that all boats with SD/I engines shipped to California have a California emission control label. It is the dealer’s responsibility to ensure that all SD/I engines and boats sold in California have an emission control label. Dealers also must ensure that all boats with SD/I engines manufactured after January 1, 2008 have an emission control label like the 2008 version above. Even though a boat/engine may be sold legally in the 49 other states, it is illegal to sell it in the State of California without a CARB emission control label. Eventually, the rest of the country will share the same emissions regulations as California when the comparable EPA regulations go into effect. Until then, the CARB label is proof that a boat/engine package is legal to sell in the State of California. .

No Sales Date Deadline

Marine retailers may continue to sell boats with engines manufactured prior to January 1, 2008 after that date. The CARB regulations do not impose a sales date deadline for regulated SD/I engines

The Flexibility Rule

CARB recognizes that manufacturer’s inventory does not necessarily change over on a certain day. Therefore, CARB includes a “flexibility rule” that allows a boat builder to use engines manufactured prior to January 1, 2008, in a 2008 model year hull. Stockpiling or creating large inventories of non-catalyzed engines for the purpose of avoiding the regulation is not allowed.

CARB Enforcement History

It is more critical than ever that boat builder, engine manufacturers and California boat dealers clearly understand their individual responsibilities under this new SD/I emission regulation. Every year, the CARB Enforcement Division issues violations and financial penalties against small engine equipment dealers, automobile dealers and dealers that sell non-compliant engines. For example, a boat dealer mistakenly offers a boat with a non-compliant engine and / or lacking a low permeation fuel hose. A CARB enforcement officer could walk into a dealer showroom or observe this non-compliant boat at a boat show. If the engine manufacturer and boat builder have complied with their requirements, it will be the California boat dealer who alone will be responsible and face enforcement action and penalties. This example has been demonstrated time and again in the cases of California enforcement action against small engine equipment dealers. Or, a boat builder’s tracking system goes awry and it inadvertently ships a non-compliant engine into California. If the boat is retail sold, the boat builder and/or the dealer may be responsible for fines and penalties and be required to repurchase the boat from the consumer and relocate it outside of the State of California.

The new regulations are coming January 1, 2008, so all businesses in the marine distribution chain need to understand the new rules and work together to avoid potential liability.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I'm going to get my numbers from the az fish and game. CA doesn't get it keep hitting us with higher taxes and fees and we will take r business to another state. Right now I have to pay $300 a year in property taxes on my boat. Won't miss that payment.