idiot blowboater gets demasted by a tanker >

idiot blowboater gets demasted by a tanker

Notices

idiot blowboater gets demasted by a tanker

Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can make it! We can make it!! We can make itt!!! Damn... We just lost our pink sail
Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

This didn't happen in US waters so I don't know what rules apply there but if it was here the sail boat had rirgt of way.
Tha tanker was not in a channel and was not limited by space.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a complete douchebag. Is he going to raise his protest flag and wait for the tanker crew to state their case in the skipper's meeting?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Makes me wanna go get me a tanker and run thru sail boats and jet skis.Ooops sorry .... next. hf...
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

A vessel under sail always has the right of way over a power driven vessel. The only exception is a vessel not under command, which has right of way over everything, or a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver. Some could argue that the tanker was a vessel constrained by draft, however this designation of vessel does not have any additional permissions as per the rules of the road.

The tanker is not a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, as this designation is restricted to vessels who "due to the nature of their work" are restricted in this ability. The tanker is in no way restricted in her ability to maneuver and does not meet any classifications of a vessel in this criteria.

In all truth, it is the fault of both captains. As the rules clearly state that nothing in the rules shall exonerate any master from a collision. It is the duty of every mariner to avoid collisions, regardless of what rule they are following.

So yes, it was the tankers fault, but usually people on yachts are smart enough to get out of the way.

Last edited by Philm; 08-17-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

It's not like the tanker was hard to see. It's bright friggin orange! I'll bet his friends all listened to him bellow about how he had the right of way. Meanwhile, his junk is being hoisted out and the repair bill is adding up.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree with those stating it's the tanker's fault. I contend that it was the sailboat's fault, on the premise that the tanker is limited in her ability to maneuver and that she can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway, and constrained by her draft. Never mind the simple laws of gross tonnage.

I'd invoke Rule 18b, and Rule 9.

Additionally, how about some common friggin' sense.

Last edited by CigDaze; 08-17-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I disagree with those stating it's the tanker's fault. I contend that it was the sailboat's fault, on the premise that the tanker is limited in her ability to maneuver and that she can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway. Never mind the simple laws of gross tonnage.

100% Agreed! Not to mention, Ive run into some sail boaters that think they are a moving no wake zone! Annoying.....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

The worst is misinformed sailors who think they have right of way even when they are under power because they are a sailbote. That's why, when I was at Boating magazine we always spelled it wrong, "sailbote," to mock them. It always got them all lathered up.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I disagree with those stating it's the tanker's fault. I contend that it was the sailboat's fault, on the premise that the tanker is limited in her ability to maneuver and that she can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway, and constrained by her draft. Never mind the simple laws of gross tonnage.

I think your right.

In any event... I'm sure the blowboater has a great interpretation that will make him right in his mind...

But in my best Ron White voice... "How'd that work out for yahh?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.