Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Is my dog dying??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26069-ot-my-dog-dying.html)

Chart 06-07-2002 03:30 PM

Just checked with my wife again, and that is not normal. Get her to the vet and ask for the following amoung other things:

Complete blood chemistry (CBC)

Glucose level check

And she also suggested your dog might have had a siezier. (sp?) That is scarry the first time, but not unusual for a dog.

We wish you and your dog the best.

birdog 06-07-2002 03:30 PM

My thoughts are with you !!!!!

PLEASE take her to the Vet.

jbrauer 06-07-2002 03:33 PM

I hate to sound stupid, but what does OT mean??:confused:

BTJ88 06-07-2002 03:39 PM

Off Topic

supercrash 06-07-2002 04:30 PM

If the dog is that bad i would leave her in the vet for observation..Ya I know...But it is better for the dog....Always check your dog for heatworms before putting them on the pills.....good luck...:(

Jana 06-07-2002 05:02 PM

Hope she gets better!

cuda 06-07-2002 05:44 PM

I know how you feel, reading this brings tears to my eyes, really. The pedialite or gator aid will help. As the others said, the treatment is hard on the dog. I lost two puppies three months apart from Parvo a couple years ago. The first one we left at the vet for iv's. Took him in on a Wednesday, and I had some "miracle parvo medicine" overnited to me. My vet suggested I leave him there for the weekend. When I called Monday morning, he had passed away. The saddest thing to me was that he died alone in a cage, I wish I would have brought him home to be with me. I am squalling like a baby as I type this. I only write this, in case you have to make the decision to leave her at the vet. I did, and I regret it terribly.
I am praying for you dog, believe me, nobody loves their dogs anymore than I do.
As I said in the other post, my girlfreind's dad had eight bird dogs treated, and they all pulled through, and some of them were older dogs. Keep the faith.
Please keep us updated.

Chart 06-07-2002 05:55 PM

To my knowledge, most vet clinics don't have staff there around the clock on weekends. the vets do check a few times during the weekend, but not constant like you would be with her. Leaving her with the vet for obversation while they are there is good, but questionable while they are not. This is my personal openion, and nothing more than that.

Cuda: my eyes watered reading your post.:(

OutlawBayB 06-07-2002 06:09 PM

Well......we checked her temp here at home it was resting
at 104.1. Normal for dogs (I'm told) is 100-102. When I took her to the vet it was 104.8 and she's lost 4 1/2 lbs in a week. The vet said she is not dealing with the passing of the dead heartworms very well. Her body is reacting to it and she is mildly dehydrated.

She said they'd keep her for the rest of the day, put her on IV and anti-inflammatory meds. She said that they will try & get her to eat and if she does not, they'll keep her overnite & recheck tomorrow. She also said that it's probable 75% she can make it, but then again, there's no telling. She can do a 180 the other way.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. I've never seen my dog this ill. AND I definately don't want her to die there, alone. I'd rather have the last few moments w/ me & the kids. Unfortunately, I will be at a Poker Run (out of town)till Sunday. I do agree with not leaving her there over the weekend. I'll be calling from the seas every chance I get!

Thank you everyone!

NASTY HABIT 06-07-2002 06:32 PM

Hoping for the best.....