Notices

Go-fast for the Arctic?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

I don't think our type of offshore powerboat is a fit for the conditions you describe. Something with reliable diesel power, a watertight enclosure and gobs of navigation electronics would be high on my list.
Imagine there are builders in Europe that build to the conditions you describe, probably naval or coast guard like hulls.
ed
Old 08-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Hello Kimo. Being from Canada and having a love for the Arctic, your thread could not help but catch my eye.

I think you need to re think this a bit. I know how harsh the conditions not only can be, but actually are more days than not. I do not think any of the go-fasts offer enough protection from the elements. Your time on the water given the expense involved would be very limited. I have two thoughts. Are you up there year round ? Probably not I expect as many in Canada that work in the high Arctic fly south several times a year for an extended break. They can afford to do so because the pay is high with not many willing to live and work up there. If that is your situation, keep a go fast in a southern port and use it from time to time as you come out.
The other thought is get some sort of RIB with enclosure like the US Coast Guard uses. You could have a blast in all kinds of crappy conditions with one of those. I have had them running 70 MPH along side my Nor Tech.

Since global warming has opened up the Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic, I have given some thought to getting just such a boat and attempting that passage in a future adventure. I think that would be kinda cool to go from Atlantic to Pacific across the top of the world. The logistical challenges are huge but it can be done and I love a challenge. You might like to come along.

All the best,

Bob
Here's a couple of shots from last week on how good our conditions often are during the summer season, first our launch:

In one of the biggest fjords, the "Icefjord":

One of the float-piers:

This is summer season, normally from june to say september. I'm not planning on going out during the fall, or storm season, but I've only been here for three weeks and planning on living here for two-three years so I haven't experienced all the seasons yet. Will fly home for christmas and a three week vacation but thats it. Winter is a no go either way though, we're talkin -35C temperatures then. Boat owners up here normally store their boats from september, and roll them out again in june. Winter is snowsled/husky time, dark 24/7 and watching out for polar bears.

I love your idea of taking on the northwest passage. It would be a great adventure and as you say, it opens up more and more due to the global warming. We also see results from global warming up here.

Originally Posted by Downtown42
And $5 buks under budget for a WARM beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRayu3RSOrM
Exactly what I was thinking about. Still for sale?

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I was going to offer up a dual diesel 40'+ performnce trawler with a nice wide beam as the best boat for your area, but she won't go anything near fast.
Downtown offered a wicked big wave offshore boat as a choice, I'd love to have any 40'+ Apache as my offshore boat.
But our largest storm related waves in SE Texas are probably your everyday bread and butter waves.
I've heard about the brutal sea's y'all enjoy and really wouldn't want to be out in anything less than a small ship in those conditions.

See ya,
Kelly
Cheers! I'm not going out in seas like that man. See pics above.

Last edited by kimosabi; 08-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

Still available

http://performanceboatbrokerage.com/...sp?boat_id=370
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kimosabi

*Edit* My pics aren't coming up? I clicked the image tag.
You have to post the picture link.....not the HTML link

Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Thanks Phantom.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Phantom.
No problem.....where's the palm trees?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 824 Likes on 377 Posts

I was thinking like bob- a enclosed rib!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

@Phantom: Eaten by polar bears. They eat everything those bastards lol.

Yeah, I can get an enclosed RIB anytime but they don't handle like a 40ft Go-fast. What I'm after is a Go-fast experience in the high Arctic, maybe next year I can offer that experience to tourists as well. There have never been a boat like that up here I think, and I also think it's about time we get one. See pics for what weather conditions we have on sweet summer days. In fact, last week we had +16C up here, so it's not all glaciers, snowstorms and drift ice 24/7.

Last edited by kimosabi; 08-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
No problem.....where's the palm trees?
LMAO !!!

The harbor pic's do kind of look like a cove at a lake in the desert.

What I'm after is a Go-fast experience in the high Arctic, maybe next year I can offer that experience to tourists as well. There have never been a boat like that up here I think, and I also think it's about time we get one. See pics for what weather conditions we have on sweet summer days. In fact, last week we had +16C up here, so it's not all glaciers, snowstorms and drift ice 24/7.
It's hard for me to imagine just how violently cold -35c would be.
What's 16c, around 50f+- for the high???
Kimosabi, that's beautiful terrain and backdrop against the water.
Every picture of every fijord I've seen in my lifetime has been incredibly beautiful, I'm certain it's even better in person.
I'd be in for a few of days of boating mixed in with some fishing.
I'm certain the fishing is AWESOME.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

It is a desert but it is an Arctic desert. Very little plants, like no insects and just a handful of different animal species.

+16C is about 60F. -35C is cold but the air here is very dry so it doesn't feel like -35C would normally feel like. It's hard to explain lol. The air is fresh and oxygen rich, but with very low humidity.

But, now that I think of it, I might not even need a super sturdy boat like the Apache either. Maybe a Fountain will do, so I can run less power? I'm starting to think 600SCI's or something. Any opinions on that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.