Notices

Go-fast for the Arctic?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should consider service on your engines and drives also. When something breaks (not if), where will you get parts to fix it, how long will that take, who will do the work, etc.

Along those lines, sticking with stock Merc power or even diesels might be a good idea. What octane gasoline do you have available? What is it's quality?

Will the boat be on a lift and/or taken out of the water after each run?

Get some sturdy drives on whatever you go with. I would think indestructable should be your goal.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ECeptor
You should consider service on your engines and drives also. When something breaks (not if), where will you get parts to fix it, how long will that take, who will do the work, etc.
In his introduction to the membership he answered question #3

Originally Posted by kimosabi
Hi all, my first posting in here so might as well introduce myself. I'm a boat/engine mechanic on Svalbard, a large island way north of northern Norway. Moved here three weeks ago and coming from way south of Norway
Cheers!
kimo
Now the answers to question 1 or 2 would be that your most likely in for a bit of a waiting period.
Judging by the pic's it appears there's some sort of processing happening at their work camp. I'd guess mining. I'm certain they receive supplies and provisions during the fair weather months.
I never thought about the fuel situation, I'd bet diesel is readily available but premium would come at just that, a very premium price.
On that thought I think the best Cigarette boat to have there would be a diesel fired Cummins or Yanmar powerplant for longevity between services and minimum fuel consumption for distances traveled.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Im just throwing this out here, but what about a Magnum? Plenty of room, big and they still go fast....
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
Im just throwing this out here, but what about a Magnum? Plenty of room, big and they still go fast....
Post 1 stated a $100 K max budget. I don't think he will be buying a Magnum for anything close to that.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o31736-en.html

That one finally sold, but that would be the ticket in my opinion..
Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

I was curious to see just how far north Svalbard Island is and just about fell off my chair. ( See yellow pin in map ) Almost as far north as the top of Greenland !! Think you might be able to see the north pole from there. LOL I'm actually surprised the water is open June to September. Wow.

I'm sure you hold the distinction of OSO's most northerly member in the world !! Thanks for posting. Very interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Go-fast for the Arctic?-svalbard-island-norway.jpg   Go-fast for the Arctic?-svalbard-island-norway-2.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 08-21-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 AM
British member!
VIP Member

We build the perfect boat for you!

3/4 canopy or enclosed (we make an open version with a windscreen but you would shorten your season) - a pair of the new Yanmar 370's would put you over budget but Verado 300's would keep you in budget for a bare "race style" build and it would be new! 34' from the bow to the bottom of the transom and 7'4" beam for great sea keeping.

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a 54' Apache named 'cold war'... that is the boat you need to be looking at.

Cookee- holy strake! Boat looks sweet! Very menacing
Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I was curious to see just how far north Svalbard Island is and just about fell off my chair. ( See yellow pin in map ) Almost as far north as the top of Greenland !! Think you might be able to see the north pole from there. LOL I'm actually surprised the water is open June to September. Wow.

I'm sure you hold the distinction of OSO's most northerly member in the world !! Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

That puts things into perspective! I was recently in Suolahti, Finland and on the way there only saw one small 223 Baja.

I'm curious what equipment will be at the mine. If you have to have a Cummins or Yanmar service guy there for the heavy equipment maybe you could piggyback on them to get your parts, etc. as needed.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I could be wrong, but I'm sensing a northern adventure for Bob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.