Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nordic Heat 28 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/260839-nordic-heat-28-a.html)

raytart 08-22-2011 09:48 PM

deleted (somehow duplicate post???)

AIR TIME 08-22-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3485973)
3'/5' is common here and 2'/3' is more the norm for an average day.

We have the intercoastal but that is a bore to ride along all day.

go to the Nordic section and ask the guys about the ride for rough water, you have Indys advice from up north. maybe theres guys using on the gulf to. AT28 and Saber28,Sutphen 26,30,31 have nice cabins and are rough water boats good luck. Art

raytart 08-22-2011 09:51 PM

Ditto on Indy's Post.
I'm the Swear it goes 80 guy, and it did with the 1.36 gears. I've since changed it back to the 1.50 for better overall performance. It now runs 76-78 with a 28b1. Great boat, holding up well after 6 1/2 seasons. minor issues electrically, some corrosion on some of the connections off the battery for the tabs, but you will have that with any boat in salt water. Not the best "rough water boat" out there but it holds it's own. I usually run on the south shore of Long Island and stay mostly inland. When it gets too snotty I just slow down and drop the tabs and trim and all is fine. Great cabin for a 28. It has a sink, cooler, two facing benches and a V-Birth. Overall, I'm happy with mine. But I'm getting that Itch for a new / bigger / faster boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDlHO93DTM

Indy 08-23-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3485973)
3'/5' is common here and 2'/3' is more the norm for an average day.

We have the intercoastal but that is a bore to ride along all day.

You can forget the 3/5 in the Nordic. Not sure what the Gulf is like but in Long Island Sound the chop is short, steep, and hard hitting when it gets snotty. 5's in the Nordic isn't pretty, I've been there and turned right around. Maybe 5' rollers are different, I wouldn't know though since I never boat in the ocean. Just trying to provide some perspective.

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 3486168)
You can forget the 3/5 in the Nordic. Not sure what the Gulf is like but in Long Island Sound the chop is short, steep, and hard hitting when it gets snotty. 5's in the Nordic isn't pretty, I've been there and turned right around. Maybe 5' rollers are different, I wouldn't know though since I never boat in the ocean. Just trying to provide some perspective.

When its snotty here it is just like you describe...hard hitting nasty chop. No rollers.

Thanks for all the advise guys. The fountain guy with a 29' fever just sent me pics this A.M that i have been waiting on and it is very temping.

Dave M 08-23-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3486177)
When its snotty here it is just like you describe...hard hitting nasty chop. No rollers.

Thanks for all the advise guys. The fountain guy with a 29' fever just sent me pics this A.M that i have been waiting on and it is very temping.

Make sure the boats you are comparing are rigged equally. Fountains usually come rigged with the good stuff like k-planes and full steering. Other brands do not. Those items are expensive to add later.

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3486202)
Make sure the boats you are comparing are rigged equally. Fountains usually come rigged with the good stuff like k-planes and full steering. Other brands do not. Those items are expensive to add later.

ya i have been watching that. This fountain has everything loaded up on it. More or less i need a mech to check it over as the owner said it has been a year or two since last use and that is my worry.

I had to back off a Velocity for the very reason you posted. Great boat with low hrs but it had nothing and once i would have added on what it needed i would have over shot my budget big time.

If this fountain can get a clean bill of health and just needs some fresh fluid and a nice go over it sounds like a winner. We will see though.

That said is there a site or place to locate good/honest techs to go over a boat for someone? I am in FL and most boats i am.looking at are up north.

Jay Gadsby 08-23-2011 09:23 AM

Thanks Nate for chiming in on the handling. Answered some questions for me too.

Raytart- Which driveline are you running? The engine of choice thus far for me is the 500EFI, talked with JD with the 8.1HO and he was saying about 72-73mph with that setup.

Mastercraft240 08-23-2011 09:25 AM

What's your budget? 25?

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3486343)
What's your budget? 25?

That's what i want to be around...i can go 30 but i would like some incase **** is needed money too cause you never know what you might get going used.

I want something 25'+, EFI, and single engine. Gf wants a small cabin as well for storms as she is affraid of lightning lol.

I am talking to someone with a 28' Velocity on here in the classifieds that i am VERY interested in as well and has trims, hydralic steering, and a freah rebuild with build sheet.