Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bravo XR Capabilities? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/260942-bravo-xr-capabilities.html)

A.O. Razor 08-25-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3488528)
..and your nearest dealer/service center would be???

At the moment, I'd say the best overall alternative would be NXT's, followed by Konrad, and then Arneson. You simply cannot channel Top Fuel horsepower through Kia transmissions.

Why do you think the NXT and Konrad is a better option than the Arneson? The rigging involved is atleast the same, as the ASD#7 for the Konrad and probably more with the NXT/#6 package. What is the price for a complete SCX, Konrad or NXT/#6 drive, including steering ect.? Also, with the SCX and Konrad, you don't get the speed and handling advantages of the surface drive. Is the Indy drive available as a drive only, and how does that compare price wise?

JRider 08-25-2011 06:05 PM

I cant understand how Konrad would be a good alternative to a bravo or xr when an SCX or BMAX is plug and play. No transmission to deal with, no pulling motor, no rerig...just seems like an SCX or a BMAX would be a logical choice. I believe you need to use the Hi-perf merc gimbal with either but if your coming from an XR its already there.

A.O. Razor 08-25-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 3488680)
I cant understand how Konrad would be a good alternative to a bravo or xr when SCX is a plug and play. No transmission to deal with, no pulling motor, no rerig...just seems like the SCX is a logical choice along with BMAX. I believe you need to use the Hi-perf merc gimbal with either but if your coming from an XR its already there.

You don't have the stock XR gears in the Konrad for one thing.

JRider 08-25-2011 06:23 PM

What is the deal with the Xpower? I have only read about 2 boats with them and one of them was on their own web site. I think they priced themselves out of the market...would have thought that they would come in between a SCX and Arneson.

The details on the Xpower are pretty foggy as well...

Does it come with its own gimbal? Or does it bolt to a Merc? Does it have a cone clutch setup or does it need a tranny? If it needs a tranny can it go in and extension box? Does it come with a tranny? Their site is not very informative. However...it does talk about their "Top Secret X-dimension"...in the vids it doesnt look so secret to me...looks like the waterpickup is not in the front of the bullet but rather on botom of the gear housing by the leading edge of the skeg...Allowing extremely hight X. It may be a great drive but at that price, why not an Arneson or a 6 / NXT?

JRider 08-25-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3488686)
You don't have the stock XR gears in the Konrad for one thing.

You dont have them in the SCX upper either. The SC uses merc gears...SCX uses their own larger gears.

JRider 08-25-2011 06:26 PM

Another thing I like about an SCX or Bmax is that you can use your existing lower/s. I know on the Bmax it involves swapping in a larger lower input shaft...not sure about shaft swap on the SCX.

A.O. Razor 08-25-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 3488695)
You dont have them in the SCX upper either. The SC uses merc gears...SCX uses their own larger gears.

True. But it's still a weak link in the package.

JRider 08-25-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3488729)
True. But it's still a weak link in the package.

Really? How do you figure that? Please elaborate

endeavor1 08-25-2011 07:37 PM

I know John the owner of BMax very well and I can tell you that his drives fo live. The upper for one is much larger. He cryo treats the gears on the upper and lower along with the other special treatments to the innternals. I personally believe it is a good product and a viable option to a true plug and play bravo replacement. Plus I ve had them on two separate BT's so i have actually run his product.

PokerRun388 08-25-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 3488736)
Really? How do you figure that? Please elaborate

:popcorn: