Notices

Hurricane prep.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound stupid but back up your computers. I recently ruined my gf's $500 beater comp that had all her info/pics on it for years and its now costing me $1900 to recover data (I took apart the hard drive). I could only imagine the damage salt air/water could do. You don't realize it until it happens how valuable data is.

Inland 40 miles... we grabbed a small genset, (watch tv/run small window unit AC) picking up food, propane for grill, loaded anything outside into the gazebo, still have to take the cat off the fountain trailer so I can take the boat out of the lake, going to drive corrugated metal in to ground on the one side of the house where I always get my neighbors run off which makes it under the house (crawl space) and into the garage. I'm hoping the metal barrier I make will allow the water to scoot around the house. Also planning on strapping the enclosed gazebo down to the hot tub.

Side question... on my gazebo Its fully enclosed. It has a sealed roof with open gables. Should I open the windows and doors or keep them closed. 1 of the long sides and 1/2 of short side is about 3 ft from the house protecting it quite a bit. So doors/windows open or closed?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep them closed.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

this sux
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
This may sound stupid but back up your computers. I recently ruined my gf's $500 beater comp that had all her info/pics on it for years and its now costing me $1900 to recover data (I took apart the hard drive). I could only imagine the damage salt air/water could do. You don't realize it until it happens how valuable data is.

Inland 40 miles... we grabbed a small genset, (watch tv/run small window unit AC) picking up food, propane for grill, loaded anything outside into the gazebo, still have to take the cat off the fountain trailer so I can take the boat out of the lake, going to drive corrugated metal in to ground on the one side of the house where I always get my neighbors run off which makes it under the house (crawl space) and into the garage. I'm hoping the metal barrier I make will allow the water to scoot around the house. Also planning on strapping the enclosed gazebo down to the hot tub.

Side question... on my gazebo Its fully enclosed. It has a sealed roof with open gables. Should I open the windows and doors or keep them closed. 1 of the long sides and 1/2 of short side is about 3 ft from the house protecting it quite a bit. So doors/windows open or closed?
Be careful how you secure that corrigated metal. If it is not secured enough it could turn into a flying weapon. Just a thought. Good luck to everyone. FYI if you're in a pinch and have a cool air hatch ac for your cabins, it works great as a window unit.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The most important thing is to pay attention to what your local and regional authorities are saying. There will be a wide variation in the effects, depending on where you live. Good luck to all!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Best of luck to everyone! I hope it makes a hard right and dies out at sea.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Best of luck Guys, I hope it isn't as bad as they are saying it is going to be. God be with all of you and stay safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wstultz
Be careful how you secure that corrigated metal. If it is not secured enough it could turn into a flying weapon. Just a thought. Good luck to everyone. FYI if you're in a pinch and have a cool air hatch ac for your cabins, it works great as a window unit.
The metal will only be about 9" or so and only have about 3" about grade. There is only about 7 ft between myself and neighbors house where I get the water in. Hopefully it will pan out. Also will be keeping windows closed (in the gazebo).

Wish everyone the best and hope everyone/everything gets out of this unscathed.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The metal will only be about 9" or so and only have about 3" about grade. There is only about 7 ft between myself and neighbors house where I get the water in. Hopefully it will pan out. Also will be keeping windows closed (in the gazebo).

We are in cape cod for this week + next week and are keeping the boat on its trailer in a garage on a waterfront house. We are going to be back home on long island for the weekend to take care of house, then go back up to cape cod monday. Boat should be fine.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too late for some sandbags? 10-4 on the windows and Best of Luck to you guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.