Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2002 Smoke On The Water a few pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26136-2002-smoke-water-few-pics.html)

RonS 06-10-2002 10:56 AM

Wally,
Sorry I did'nt get to meet you this weekend but I really tried, I met Andraeus and another one of your buddys. But that was me that stopped by you along with the 29 fountain. Hope the motor problem is only minor. When I saw both bilge pumps going my first thought was that youguys hit something and we were going to have a couple extra passengers back to Grand Haven.

32fever 06-10-2002 11:34 AM

That 46 Rough Rider was impressive. The first boat back to Grand Haven after the Muskegon trip. WOW! Sounded cool with those v-12's.

We ran from South Haven to Grand Haven with a few boats in our 32 Fountain along with a 32 Active Thunder. (Of course, we slowed down to let those Skaters catch up (I WISH)) LOL!

WE stopped for a potty break, and someone in a 26 PQ came up to see if things were okay. That was nice!!! WE ran into a 35 Nordic that lost a drive and stopped as my friend knew them. They idled back to Grand Haven okay. Sorry to see that kind of thing happen.

We had a blast just watching. I don't see myself ever dropping $1k on a poker run, but it sure is fun to watch and be around. We ran a distance (way off to the side to avoid the "entry boats" with Green Wing for a while. 70 mph in that boat. WOW. We slowed down to 55 or so to cruise, and got left behind.

VERY nice boats. My wife and I presonally liked Greek Lightning, a 38 Cig. All the boats were sweet though.

Didn't see Jafo's 28 AT, though. I'd call the waves 2-3's even with the chop. Probably would be 1-2 with no boat wakes, but 2-3 of splishy sploshy muck made it tougher to navigate. Wasn't 3-5, though. We'd be launching at 75 in 3-5's. Wasn't the case Sat.

Anchored out in Grand Haven and ate our budget lunch samiches and watched them come and go. Awesome machines there. Hopefully these folsk can use these great machines more than 5-6 months a year:)

Anybody catch the all white canopied cat going out to play in Grand Haven? That was sweet too. NOt in he PR, but they were flying out there.

KAAMA, sorry we didn't stop to chat a little on Sunday, but we were in a hurry to get to land and running late. NOtice how early we were heading in.

Mark

Intolerant1 06-10-2002 11:49 AM

We were in South Haven waiting fpr them and the first boat in was the big cat with the "For Sale" paint job but two vees were right with him. The lake was very flat. I snapped a few photos if someone can resize em for me and post em?

PS, one of the big Vees sounded like it threw a rod as it was approach S.H. Nasty noises and the engine hatch went up as they slowed to enter the river. Hope it wasnt as bad as it sounded.

32fever 06-10-2002 11:49 AM

Uh, who flew the heli's and took the pics? They took one of us and it would be kinda cool to get a pic, but we were not in the run, so someone will be wondering who was in that boat without any life vests on:) If any one knows, please post. Thanx

32fever 06-10-2002 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Intolerant1

PS, one of the big Vees sounded like it threw a rod as it was approach S.H. Nasty noises and the engine hatch went up as they slowed to enter the river. Hope it wasnt as bad as it sounded.

I heard that too. Didn't sound good. Pretty loud knocking.

fred 06-10-2002 02:56 PM

So what was the actual route of the run from Grand Haven?....Did they go south first,...what were the card stop ports in order?....Fred

Intolerant1 06-10-2002 03:08 PM

32 Fever, what boat were you in? I was in the white w/really bad marroon striped Liberator floating just a little further out than the group of sport boats. That guy in the cruiser who was out further anchored really pushed the poker run boats away from us.

32fever 06-10-2002 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Intolerant1
32 Fever, what boat were you in? I was in the white w/really bad marroon striped Liberator floating just a little further out than the group of sport boats. That guy in the cruiser who was out further anchored really pushed the poker run boats away from us.
I was in our 32 fountain (dark blue/purple/magenta graphics), and there were 2 32 Active Thunders and a black/red 302 Formula tied off our stern. The Formula and 1 AT went back to St Joe, and we went to Grand Haven with the other 32 AT. Had to get that old gas winter out, it was stale ya know. :D:D:D:D (this was only our 3rd time out this year)

I think your boat was a little farther out than we were, but we weren't far from you.

There were a lot of nice boats out, both in the run and watching.

Wally 06-10-2002 04:24 PM

I posted some pics in the Photo section......they are pending approval!.... :rolleyes: :D enjoy!

MIdnightRider 06-10-2002 05:39 PM

That was a great run. The conditions were good, but became great on the last leg from Muskegon to GH, it kicked up just a little to let the bigger V's dance a bit. We had several great runs with different boats. My crew liked the last run from just before Muskegon onto GH we ran with the All Yellow 42 FTN, we diced back and forth a little for a awhile, then when the pier was in good site we both hit it, and he just walked away. It was at that point I guessed it must have been the twin stepper with a pair 900sc's nestled in it. But on its first real run the new Midnight Rider ran flawless, I wished I could have had the name on for the weekend though. One thing I think many who watch do not really factor in is that, in order to be first to every stop you need a fast boat, but also a big wallet. The guys who leave it to the wood on those distances don't care if they break. I probably only averaged about 4300rpm all day. I whipped it up a few times to let a boat or two know we had all they could handle. I wanted to have fun, but keep it together, most boats wont see that time-RPM combination all year. We will definately be back. Midnight:cool: