Notices

newbie to boating

Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie to boating

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum recently and was trying to do as much research as possible before making a purchase. However, rather than asking a bunch of questions that I'm sure have been asked a million times before I was wondering if there are any threads that might be good for a newbie to read. I tried searching for various topics but not much came up.

I was hoping you guys could help me find some threads on general boating knowledge, vocabulary, where to start as far as a boat of this class, and other things to know.

From the very little bit I have read thus far I would like to get into something between 24-30ft, but price will dictate most of that. I have also been reading up some about whether to stay with a single or go twins, but still am unsure of this as well. Also, if there are other resources for basic knowledge outside of this forum such as books or what not that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for all your help and time.

Regards,

Seth
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to OSO Seth!

I would start by looking at all the different forums on here to make yourself familiar with them. I would then start at the General Boating Discussion Forum and post each question you may have and then the members will hopefully give you the information that you are looking for and their opinions. Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to OSO.

The first question to ask yourself is where are you going to go boating? Boating in the ocean is a lot different than a small lake, so the boat is different, too.

Second, what are you planning on doing with the boat? Overnights? Local use? Tow all over the U.S.? That helps determine what features you need, and can have an impact on the size (bigger takes a bigger truck and more gas to tow).

Single vs. Twins has several factors. If you are going alone in the ocean, I would recommend twins for safety (a backup engine). Twins get poorer fuel economy than a single, though, and, of course, there is two of everything to replace, repair, maintain. Smaller boats usually don't have twins.

Spend some time reading the posts here. It takes a while to get a feel for all the boat makes and models. Some are better in rough water, but may be a bit slower. Some are higher quality. Some are built by smaller companies, where you may get more personalized service.

Finally, if you buy used, get a survey! Boats can eat money like nothing else, and a survey can help minimize the surprises after you buy the boat.

Michael
Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your absoulutly green to boating I would start out with single engine first untill you get your sea legs. Twin engines control different and more difficult to handle and I would have to say ,geared more for a seasoned boater, Keep it simple. .
Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Registered

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, yes I am pretty darn green to boating. I grew up going on the lake with friends who had boats, but haven't had much personal experience with them otherwise.

I am originally from Chicago which is where I first got the offshore boating bug but now live in Colorado. There are a couple decent lakes within a short drive and some smaller ones even closer (nothing like IL though). Some friends have told me to look into Baja, but I wasn't sure if there were also other manufacturers out there to look at. I am by no means able to afford an extremely expensive boat. After talking with the wife we are looking in the 20k and under price range and preferably closer to 15k if possible.

I would also like to be able to take the boat back to Chicago to get it on some bigger water and take small vacations with the boat in tow. I have a F150 right now with a tow package and have pulled some pretty hefty stuff with it lol, milage isn't great but then again it's a early 2000 Ford truck.

As far as other stuff, I really have no idea what preferences I have because I am so new to this sport/hobby. Some people have said save up and get what you want and of course like any guy out there i want big, bad, and fast......but others have said to start off small and single motor and work my way up.

Lastly, I appreciate all the advice and hope you guys had a great summer on the lake!

Seth
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there any manufacturer that you are interested in? I know someone selling a 24' Superboat with a rebuilt 260 V8 w/ origional MCM setup with trs drives + k planes...$8,500 and superboats are well built and from what ive heard, do pretty good in the chop. Its a 1976.

But like others said, do some research, ask questions. Come up with a list of boats in your price/length range and compare them.

And finally, welcome to OSO!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

Welcome to oso,
If you are green, I would start small and simple, and move up over the years as you become more familiar with boating, safety, controls, operation, maint....etc.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

Kirk,

From where I'm sitting right now I would like to run the boat a lot however due to the smaller water ways in Colorado I would probably be running mixed in with anchoring and hanging out in coves etc....I really like the idea of a cuddy even a small one to lay down in or at least get some storage out of.

More often than not it would stay in Colorado, but eventually I want to take small vacations to bigger lakes and head back to Chicago to play on Michigan. Again those would be few and far between.

As far as finding someone to go for a ride with on their boat, how does that work exactly? I wouldn't even know how to approach someone and ask something like that without feeling quite rude. I will actually be in Chicago the 15th-19th of this month but don't really know anyone that has an "offshore" styled power boat.

Thanks again for all the feedback,

Seth
Old 09-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It doesnt get better than this!! Good luck on your search and welcome to the site.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/2562127571.html
Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered

Seth,
Welcome to the forum.
You'll find that these guys and girls offer an incredible wealth of knowledge in powerboating.
Last year I was a newbie to the larger boats too.
My kids had grown and we no longer ski'd or wakeboarded like it was when they were younger so I sold the walk through.
What I did when I was in your shoes was determine my priorities.
The abilty to overnight comfortably dictated a berth, head, galley, settee in the salon and heating/cooling on the water. Being a tallish guy I wanted at least 6' of headroom in the galley/head. And equally important was the abilty to enjoy a much higher cruising speed than the average cruiser that would hopefully get into the 60's at top speed and come within my budget.
These requirements eliminated many boats immediately.
I was able to really hone in my search to a much lesser number of models by different mfg's.
I searched for 6 months before finding this site and after joining posted boats I was interested in here to see if members new of the unit.
Several came back as prior boats of members here who after me sending a PM they responded with great intel on the units.

Don't be afraid to post questions to the board, these members are here to assist and glad to do it.
Here's a couple of links that I had early on in my membership while searching.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...questions.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...know-boat.html

MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is not a transaction to take lightly.
You can lose a lot of coin and incur major aggravation with yourself if things go sour.
Offer a purchase contract with deposit and subject the vessel to a survey and seatrial. If the seller shows any unwillingness, pass and move on.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted, You will get great advice from those with the best knowledge of all.

See ya,
Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.