Looking for advice new buyer

Notices

Looking for advice new buyer

Old 09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice new buyer

Hello all,

Just signed up on the forums. I am looking to get into my first offshore boat. I used to go boating all the time with a buddy of mine when we were in high school on a smaller 18 whaler and now I'm looking to make the plunge on my own. I am in RI and most of the time i'll be in Narragansett Bay. I would like to be able to take it out to Martha's Vineyard or Block Island occasionally as well. I'm looking to get something anytime between October and the start of next season. I've got the truck to tow it (f250) and I only have room for up to a 26'-28' boat cant go anything larger than that. Budget is around 25k and was just looking to see what you guys would recommend. I am currently thinking a Donzi 26zx but I wanted to get some opinions from guys in the know before I make the plunge. Thank you in advance!!!! Jay
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to OSO.

I would go as big as space / money will afford.

Do you want a single or twins? I would recommend twins if you plan on trips to the islands frequently.

There are some good boats in the size / price range you are looking in.

-28 Donzi
-28 Pantera
-272 or 271 Formula

...and many others.

Enjoy your search!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

You should take a look at a 28 Apache - http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o40763-en.html
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered

Not familiar with the bay, what are the water conditions normally like? Selling my 25' Powerplay for about your price range. Great option for ya especially if the water doesnt get crazy big. I used it on Lake St Clair all summer and worked out great.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 09-06-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Have to agree with Artie above ------- go as big as you can and twins if your going out any where in open water !!! Formula,Scarab,Fountain ---- Try to stay in that 30 ft range..
26 or 27 is too small if you want to span the chop and waves,much better ride ! $25000 will buy you a lot of boat in today's economy. Also one other thing -- if your going to buy something look for a freshwater boat that has not been eaton inside out by the salt ... If you have to fix it and you will in all likelyhood at some time . fixing a salt water boat can be a terror.So if you decide to drop it in the ocean ,at least you will know where it came from . Good Luck

Jim
Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

have a 25 baja outlaw on here for sale

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41508-en.html

Last edited by caseyh; 09-06-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

I'll second Turbo and Cigboat.
For true offshore boating start with something as near 30' as possible with twin powertrains.
In our area, and I'm sure in yours too, there's a big difference in the snotty water of a protected bay -vs- the open water of the ocean or the sea.

Welcome to the board and keep us posted, you certainly just found the best source of quality info on these types of powerboats available.
These guys and girls are an incredible source of knowledge and happy to assist.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice guys. From what I'm reading the Formula 272 is actually closer to 29' when you count the swim platform? I know the water is much calmer in the bay then when you hit the open water. Also makes perfect sense what your saying about twins for safety when you head out into the open. I'll start my search and keep my eyes out and see what i can find.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

There are alot of boats that factor in the swim platform and other parts (beaks) into the length. Take your time and read up on here about the boats you are interested in. Some boats handle the rough better than others. Some boats are designed with the rought water in mind and will actually handle it better than others that may be longer in length overall. I would also look for a boat with a higher freeboard on it since that will help you stay dry when it gets snotty. Good luck on your search and welcome to OSO
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

active thunk in the classifieds located in MD so not too far to drive too (would like to have it myself!!), highly suggest single engine craft for expense and ease of maintence... of course the dual engines are good for offshore adventures but is it really necessary for your application-only you can answer that

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41738-en.html

Powerplay25 also---these are my 2 rough water choices

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41619-en.html