Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice on Donating Boat to Murdered Girls Family (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/261812-advice-donating-boat-murdered-girls-family.html)

BAD ASS SCARAB 09-07-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3497922)
Also, might put it on eBay with a $1 starting price and no reserve, and state what the proceeds will be going toward.

However, you will have to clear this with the family before you go public with such an endeavor.

What the hell is this boat anyhow? You are not going to sell a boat in the paper or on the Internet without a picture nowadays. Post it up on Craigslist with a few pictures and share the link here.

I have every intention of clearing this with the family! I wouldnt dream of stiring a bunch of crap or going rouge and doing my own thing on this.
These people are in extream dispair they are in shock they are in mourning. I am very respectful person. If they don't want the boat or the money hey thats fine. I will winterize it throw the cover back on and put it to bed for the winter.
And you know what? I tried ! I tried to do the right thing. With that I can sleep better knowing that I reached out to a family in need.
Please people you need to read my blog I put all the pertant info on my blog. One guys remark that the boat didnt run its pretty aparant he didnt even read my blog. I have dumped a lot of time and money into it hoping to sell it to rat hole some mony in the bank account but the stinking rats took off with my money! This is when I make hay but there is not much hay to make. I only have about !% of the business I had last year. And we have jobs here,

Fenderjack 09-07-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3497647)
what you are doing is very noble. Dumping a liability on somebody is probably not what they are looking for right now

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3497716)
Unfortunately most of the replys are the basic reality of it. I dont think anyone is going to knock you for trying to help, that is truly a great thing. But even on its best day a boat of that style and vintage isnt worth much and letting the family deal with the sale of something they may not be familiar with may be an un necessary complication in there life right now. It would be much different if this was a premium like a sweet sixteen Donzi or something but this is a boat that you have tried to sell with no luck and sounds like its unfinished or still needs things(please correct me if i'm wrong there) . I agree with Wally, fire sale it yourself with the story attached to the auction and just donate the money to the family, clean and simple. Its not that anyone is saying dont do it or it wont work or give it up, it just needs to be a more streamlined process and you need to work with what you have. Again, not trying to be discouraging but you need to identify the positives and the negatives here before you can pick a direction.

I agree with this..

John jr

BAD ASS SCARAB 09-07-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by tinman565 (Post 3498188)
Now your on your way (nudge nudge)....I'm sure they will love it sir. :drink:

On the plaqe reads:

Mechella's Tree Of Life.

Fenderjack 09-07-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB (Post 3498248)
On the plaqe reads:

Mechella's Tree Of Life.

Thats awesome :drink: to you brotha

John jr

frankenstein 09-07-2011 10:32 PM

I think your heart is absolutely in the right place, I just think your emotions are clouding your judgement. I'm sure anything you can do to help would be appreciated greatly, however you really want make things a little "easier" for the family, not create more work. I'm sure in the long run you'll do the right thing and help them out. Good luck and Godspeed

BAD ASS SCARAB 09-07-2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by frankenstein (Post 3498335)
I think your heart is absolutely in the right place, I just think your emotions are clouding your judgement. I'm sure anything you can do to help would be appreciated greatly, however you really want make things a little "easier" for the family, not create more work. I'm sure in the long run you'll do the right thing and help them out. Good luck and Godspeed

My emotions are not clouding my judgement Sir. I have never done this before ok? I will have to contact the family freind first and run this by them. Then and only then if the family of Mechella contacts me I will run two seneros by them how we can go forward with selling the boat. I will only do what they wish. I will honor what ever decision they make. The reason I put up this blog is to get some ideas and I have gotten a few good ones on here. The one member with the idea of the tree is just freekin ausum. That took some creative thinking on his part. I am about 99% there on a desiscion on giving them the boat., I went out tonight and looked at it. I honestly think by devine powers is the reason the boat has not sold. I am starting to beleive that this boat and the monies created off of the sale is to go to them in there time of need and suffering. Thanks you guys most of the responses have been good.:evilb:

offshoredrillin 09-08-2011 06:14 AM

Why not do a raffle. many people spending 5 dollars for a boat is better than one trying to come up with money. then donate all the cash to the family. if it doesn't reach the full dollar amount you can deduct the rest of the value of it. trailer the boat to a few events with the raffle info and story, also go to a walmart or store front on the weekend and offer to passersby. you may have to get a permit, but you stand a more of a chance of really putting cash in the families hands. also see if you can put the boat in front of a firehouse with a sign that says "win this boat"

Skullkrusher 09-08-2011 06:25 AM

If not through a charity, a raffle probably would not be legal or tax deductible. He has asked for our opinions in at least three different posts but really does not appear to want them.
His first post should read "I want to unburden myself of a boat I can not sell, how do I give it away and still get something out of it." Like this family really wants a 37 year old broken boat in their front yard.

Catastrophe 09-08-2011 06:28 AM

Lets see a pic of this 35 year old wonder.

Catastrophe 09-08-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher (Post 3498439)
If not through a charity, a raffle probably would not be legal or tax deductible. He has asked for our opinions in at least three different posts but really does not appear to want them.
His first post should read "I want to unburden myself of a boat I can not sell, how do I give it away and still get something out of it." Like this family really wants a 37 year old broken boat in their front yard.

Now this is about as accurate as you can get with this stupid idea.

The family of a murdered child needs to deal with this idiocy like they need a hole in their head.