Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what to look for when buying a boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/261934-what-look-when-buying-boat.html)

seth0687 09-08-2011 03:03 PM

what to look for when buying a boat

I am tentatively going for a seatrial on this boat this coming Sunday.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2572520685.html

I have been reading every article imaginable out there concerning what to look for when buying a boat but was hoping you guys could shed some light on what to look for, how to test/check to make sure everything is in proper working order such as motor, stringers, floor, transom....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind doing a little work myself getting the boat into great shape, but don't want it to either blow up or sink or blow up and then sink :lolhit::lolhit:

Thanks again guys,

Seth

EDIT: during a seatrial what are things to look for, i.e. while the boat is going etc.....What normally takes place on a seatrial aside from being on the boat on the water lol.

glassdave 09-08-2011 03:11 PM

well, truthfully you shouldnt look for anything . . . your surveyor should :D

All kidding aside you should have it professionally surveyed. I am in the marine biz and specialize in structural fiberglass (20 years) and even I have my boats surveyed. It is truly money well spent. You need a trained eye that is not excited about getting a new toy :D Give it a good look over as best ya can but make no deals till a pro (with references) looks at it. Look at gimbal condition and how loose it is. See if it has an hour meter and also how much of it is still factory OEM over any after market stuff. Pick the sellers brain to see what kind of person he or she is to give an indication as to how the boat was kept and treated. good luck, i always liked the Convincors and if i ever had a single screw that would probably be it. I would be very skeptical of 110 hrs on a 93 though, and that is most certainly a non stock engine. Still looks like a good price and if you can get them to budge on the number theres probably some room for any needed minor improvements it might need.

nkosi 09-08-2011 03:25 PM

I bought my first boat last year. I passed on three others before buying because I had good surveyors that spotted costly issues. Based on my experience you might spend about 300-400 bucks for a boat that size. maybe less or maybe more if you have to get someone else to check the engine. Like was said before, its the best money you'll ever spend.

seth0687 09-08-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3498966)
well, truthfully you shouldnt look for anything . . . your surveyor should :D

All kidding aside you should have it professionally surveyed. I am in the marine biz and specialize in structural fiberglass (20 years) and even I have my boats surveyed. It is truly money well spent. You need a trained eye that is not excited about getting a new toy :D Give it a good look over as best ya can but make no deals till a pro (with references) looks at it. Look at gimbal condition and how loose it is. See if it has an hour meter and also how much of it is still factory OEM over any after market stuff. Pick the sellers brain to see what kind of person he or she is to give an indication as to how the boat was kept and treated. good luck, i always liked the Convincors and if i ever had a single screw that would probably be it. I would be very skeptical of 110 hrs on a 93 though, and that is most certainly a non stock engine. Still looks like a good price and if you can get them to budge on the number theres probably some room for any needed minor improvements it might need.

Hey thanks guys, I've been trying to look at finding a surveyor our here but marinas are few and far between up in the mountains of Colorado lol.

Also, when you said 110 hrs sounds weird, that is only 110 hrs on the motor since it was rebuilt. What about the motor makes it not look stock?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm still very new at this.

Thanks guys,

Seth

Crossett 09-08-2011 04:43 PM

that seems cheap

Too Stroked 09-08-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by seth0687 (Post 3499035)
What about the motor makes it not look stock?

For starters; intake, carb, exhaust, plug wires, flame arrestor ...

seth0687 09-09-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3499147)
For starters; intake, carb, exhaust, plug wires, flame arrestor ...

Ahhhh, it is all begining to make sense now lol.

Anyone else, Bueller?!??!

Michael1 09-09-2011 10:59 PM

I would also recommend a good surveyor. They will find things you'll never see. They know where to look.

Also a compression test on the engine is a must. If you can get an oil sample, I would do that, and have it sent to a lab for analysis.

While you are looking at the boat, bring a pad and paper. Make a list of everything you find that is broken/damaged (not hard to find things on most used boats). The when you get home, price every item (plus labor if you don't plan on doing your own work). Add it up. You may be surprised. I know I was on a couple boats, and ended up not buying them (a good move).

Michael