Info/opinions on this boat? >

Info/opinions on this boat?

Notices

Info/opinions on this boat?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info/opinions on this boat?

What do you guys think about this boat for me? Keeping in mind I am new and all? He is also a member here and posted the add in my "newbie to boating" thread. I haven't looked into checkmate or this model much....any basic information on these boats, this particular motor, model....etc....

Thanks again.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2572520685.html

more pictures here:

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...1%20Convincor/
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall I was very happy with the 94 Checkmate I had. A lot of stuff is not thru bolted like it should be. Check it out good and spend the money for a survey.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered

I just bought a 242 a couple of weeks ago and love it.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seth0687
What do you guys think about this boat for me? Keeping in mind I am new and all? http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2572520685.html
IMO, this is probably the best kind of boat you can get as a newbie. It'll give you a true taste of powerboating and comes in very affordably. One of the things I failed to mention to you in your other thread was the ability to cash out close to your purchase price if you find that the sport or the boat isn't really what you were looking for. With a boat purchase at this price you should surely be able to get all or most of your purchase price back on a resell if you feel that you need to upsize or power up to a faster boat.
Checkmate is a good boat Mfg. and mid 20's is a great size to start with.
Remember this, a survey and seatrial is the best money you'll spend. I'd offer up a 100 bones to the seller and ask him if he'll take you out, familiarize you with the controls, and give you a mini seatrial for a half hour or so. I'd feel pretty certain he would be happy to do this with you furnishing the fuel. It's truly a small price to pay prior to entering into an agreement for a purchase compared to paying a surveyor's charge prior to interacting with the unit.
The scariest thing for me as a buyer was COMPLETELY relying on pic's from a computer monitor, a powertraion survey by an accredited Merc marina, and a licensed marine surveyor on a substantial purchase to a machine I never laid my hands on until delivery 2000 miles away and 5 month's after writing the contract to purchase. It was nervewracking to say the least.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

We ran a 251 for about 4 or 5 years. They're good rough water boats and pretty quick. I agree that this would be a good starter boat. It will give you a taste of boating and keep you out of trouble. This particular boat looks a little rough. Interior needs to be cleaned or replaced, which isn't too difficult if you can get your hands on some skins. From the few pics of the cuddy, it looks pretty rough as well. I assume the motor has 110 hours on a rebuild? I'm not sure if 93's had wood flooring, but if it does, check it for rotting. Also, have the transom checked for water. We had to replace our transom. Look around for other 251's and see what you find. 25 Baja Outlaws would be a good starter boat as well.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, any other info/advice?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '99 283 Convincor has been very good to me. It doesn't have the offshore reputation other boats on this site have, but mine has exceeded my expectations at LOTO. All the advice posted here so far is good. I think that's a good choice for a first boat, but get yourself acquainted with other manufacturers out there as well. You might strike up a preference for something else. Knowledge is power!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Thanks Keytime. When you say "doesn't have the offshore rep, others have" what exactly do you mean?

The boat I'm looking for has a 502 carbed....anything in partcular to note about that motor? How many hours before having to consider a rebuild.

What is an expected top speed and how about normal cruising speed for a boat like this.

How hard is fixing wiring issues with the sound system and interior lighting?

How hard would it be to fix a trim tab gauge that isn't working (tabs both work)?

Anyway to get stains out of white vinyl?

Thanks guys!!