Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th >

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Just picked this up from Mike Lloyd, the promoter of the Cowes to Monte Carlo race in 2013.

Apparently the real ocean racing is still alive and well in Europe.

At 09.00 continental time today, The Fabio Buzzi designed KeraKoll set off from Monte-Carlo (the Cowes Monte-Carlo finish line in 2013) on its Monaco to Venice nonstop 1,250 nm record attempt. That’s six Cowes Torquay Cowes races back to back – not for the faint hearted!

The record stands at 23hrs 55 mins. The crew of KeraKoll consists of Mario Invernizzi on throttles, Peter Dredge driving and navigating, Antonio Binda-Chris Engineer and AN Other.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Sorry Steve.....No, the real success was built on who could add more logos and number of colors to the latest model.....
Hmm..I always thought it was how many speakers and subwoofers a boat could carry??? LOL

I had hoped to be able to come up for this years event...unfortunately, as always, restoration is going slower than I had hoped.

But, I will be there next year...I am pretty sure my old 1978 boat knows it's way around Long Island so well it could probably drive itself....if not maybe I can ask Aldo to wheel it for me???

I know it's tough enough, I am told it has been doing it since the early 80s and it is still solid as granite :-).

Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Sorry Steve.....No, the real success was built on who could add more logos and number of colors to the latest model.

The ability to go out in wicked conditions and come back not only in one piece, but willing and able to take more, had nothing to do with the current marketing plans.

I know it frustrates the hell out of us old guys, to see a whole new generation missing out on a type of racing that developed seamanship, navigation and good mechanical skills. The current organizations are not offering this option and the boat owners don't know how much fun it really is.
Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it. Why would you even own an "offshore" boat if you don't want to run it offshore?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got that right,all show and no go.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Didn't offshore racing put most of these companies on the map?
And then some...

on a second note.. last year I regretted a lot I couldn't even fly over to watch the race , this year, well I at least have a good excuse, I'm taking my skippers degree so I can Navigate also the Old School style enabling me to operate vessels up tp 500Brt's.. ( Tugs mostly) and maybe sometimes need to do it in a race too ...fast.
Oh And I'm having my Elbow operated on Monday after a bike crash.. but that's peanuts.. only 5-6 operations.

Maybe 3rd time will be the charm for me.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-14-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it. Why would you even own an "offshore" boat if you don't want to run it offshore?
A lot of If's and Why's there.... but Racers are different.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-14-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Every entrant to the race this year will get a brand new copy of John Crouse's SEARACE book donated by HORBA. These are the very last copies in existence and are becoming very rare.

Each team can get all the other teams to sign their copy and they will have a keepsake memento for years to come.

Something you can tell your grandkids....I did this!!!
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-searace-promo0002-small-.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-searace-promo0001-small-.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-searace-book-021-small-.jpg  

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-searace-book-020-small-.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-searace-book-019-small-.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

i hate to bring this up again but the entry fee is pretty staggering for the average boater ($1,000). yikes...

dont complain about lack of entrants when the price tag for entry is a g-note. not to sound like a smart ass but what makes this run so special that it costs so much? what else do you get for entry? i would hope food at least?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by innerrage
got that right,all show and no go.
you always urge others to run, why dont you?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

money, health, 21ft no gps or eletronics, and going with kev to frank m run next week,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.