Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
you still havent answered my question but i guess thats to be expected. i give up.
Tried not to post on this, but.........This is not 5th grade soccer/baseball/basketball, not everyone gets a trophy. You either want it and work for it or you sit on the sidelines and throw stones, no one is entitiled to run the race. I don't have a sponsor or mega dollars, I just choose to give up a few weekends or more of partying on the boat to stash away enough cash, and find the time to do race prep, to make it happen, thats called working for it.
You won't take your boat out in 3' seas so please don't bother ruining a thread on a RACE (that you will not run) that will more than likley see 4-5's or better on the North Shore......oh yea....that was won by boats as small as 17'.
Please take your negitivity eleswhere

Good luck to all who choose to compete
Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

^^^i guess my question is un-answerable as you haven't provided any insight either: as to why a race costs more than a PR.

In reference to what kind of seas I have seen in my boat...you have no idea. So stop acting like you do. As a matter of fact we ran our 29' fastech this yr from the Ct river to Bristol RI in 3/4's the entire way. It took us 3 hrs and a good @ss kicking. Last year we went to the maritime festival in 6-7's. That took us nearly 4 hrs and a full tank of fuel to travel 50-60 miles round trip.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
That is the kind of inspiration that the young boaters of today need to see......... and the boat builders need to make the boats capable of running these kinds of races and come back in one piece..
Charlie, I contacted Danny Leger and it sent me this shot..
this should be the Powercat that won the race that year...
Charlie is trying to bring back a once famous event...
Let's keep the thread on track...
yup...the old guy
p.s. the 2nd shot needs no words!!!
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-51.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-51a.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long Islands south shore waters aint no joke..its gets rough out their ..
Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

..GO SONIC..watch those outerlimits go back to the dock like last year!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the speed that kills ya.. it's the sudden stop therefore you do not win by being the fastest, never been possible in any motorposrt. you gotta Finish too.
And yes These Endurance races do need somewhat coin but so does a seat in the regular US races...thenagain... which M-sport doesn't ?.
Regarding long races alive and well in Europe..yes all the races even for the small outboard classes have laps longer than a total race on the current US races... excluding these HORBA's great efforts. Lets keep this thread on track and not get into whatifs.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

It痴 been a long time since I posted but seeing as the race is a little over a week away I thought I should check things out. I thought I might take a stab at answering the question that 2fast9tech2 keeps asking. I知 not an expert in poker runs or power boat races but I知 positive I have raced more (sailboats and powerboats) and have more miles in my log than he does.

So 2fast9tech2, why does this race cost so much? Well I think the price is high for a host of reasons;
1) The support services you receive (helicopter video/pics, gps tracking, launch and haul, dockage, advice, etc..
2) This race is not for weekend warriors, people can and have been killed racing around the island. By increasing the entry fee you made it difficult for those with little experience and huge egos to enter.
3) Despite what you might think there is liability in running a race like this, I知 sure some of the expense goes to insurance (I知 not going to list all the coverage痴).
4) The amount of planning to run a race like this is extensive. You need to not only have a venue but be in contact with multiple police and federal agencies to assure we are clear to run.
5) Marketing plays a large role in the success of this race. You market it to get racers and to support the racers. It is not easy to convince people to park boats all around the island to watch us fly past at 60. You also have to continue to market after the race to insure everyone knows the results and the winners are properly congratulated.

I知 not going to pass judgment on your racing history or your driving skills but when you ask a sophomoric question like this you are going to get a raft of **** from everyone on a board like this. If you did not know the answer to this question before you asked it than you might want to consider listening more and talking less. My advice? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".

For those who race, have a safe and fun trip.
For those who are willing to come out and support us, thank you! It really means a lot when we run past the support boats and know if something happens out there help will be close.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanNavigator
It痴 been a long time since I posted but seeing as the race is a little over a week away I thought I should check things out. I thought I might take a stab at answering the question that 2fast9tech2 keeps asking. I知 not an expert in poker runs or power boat races but I知 positive I have raced more (sailboats and powerboats) and have more miles in my log than he does.

So 2fast9tech2, why does this race cost so much? Well I think the price is high for a host of reasons;
1) The support services you receive (helicopter video/pics, gps tracking, launch and haul, dockage, advice, etc..
2) This race is not for weekend warriors, people can and have been killed racing around the island. By increasing the entry fee you made it difficult for those with little experience and huge egos to enter.
3) Despite what you might think there is liability in running a race like this, I知 sure some of the expense goes to insurance (I知 not going to list all the coverage痴).
4) The amount of planning to run a race like this is extensive. You need to not only have a venue but be in contact with multiple police and federal agencies to assure we are clear to run.
5) Marketing plays a large role in the success of this race. You market it to get racers and to support the racers. It is not easy to convince people to park boats all around the island to watch us fly past at 60. You also have to continue to market after the race to insure everyone knows the results and the winners are properly congratulated.

I知 not going to pass judgment on your racing history or your driving skills but when you ask a sophomoric question like this you are going to get a raft of **** from everyone on a board like this. If you did not know the answer to this question before you asked it than you might want to consider listening more and talking less. My advice? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".

For those who race, have a safe and fun trip.
For those who are willing to come out and support us, thank you! It really means a lot when we run past the support boats and know if something happens out there help will be close.
thanks for the response and actually answering my question. sorry for asking...i didnt know it pained people so much to respond.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

Well good morning!!! It certainly has been active since I last checked this thread. It looks like the question has been answered and now maybe we can get back to THE RACE...

I need some logistics help on the south shore of Long Island.....I have a potential entrant that does not have enough fuel capacity for the 271 miles and needs a refueling stop, but he needs race fuel.

Does anyone have any ideas where he could stop and get this type of fuel....Does Shinnecock have any pumps with race fuel?

All help appreciated.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Well good morning!!! It certainly has been active since I last checked this thread. It looks like the question has been answered and now maybe we can get back to THE RACE...

I need some logistics help on the south shore of Long Island.....I have a potential entrant that does not have enough fuel capacity for the 271 miles and needs a refueling stop, but he needs race fuel.

Does anyone have any ideas where he could stop and get this type of fuel....Does Shinnecock have any pumps with race fuel?

All help appreciated.
That may be a tough one Charlie. The best options would be to decide where to stop and have a tuck sitting there or have barrels delivered there with Race fuel. 90% of the marinas dont have 93 so race fuel probably doesnt exist.

Last edited by OL40SVX; 09-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.