Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th >

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Thank you, these guys have passion and to me this is racing I would enjoy, I hope they can grow this into something like it used to be, this sport needs re-building, it is in rough shape now for many reasons and needs some more creative minds than it has had or else it would not be where it is today?
Thanks!

Just a small reminder of the passion that helped make Offshore Racing....

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cd5k9ZF3w[/Youtube]

Last edited by 78CIG24; 09-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectators

Hello,

Just a suggestion, but how about posting some more information for the spectators, people who are not racing a boat but would like to come out & see the race & support this event? I've searched for other posts & checked the NPBA site, but find very little information that addresses this specifically. When I watch the videos of all those old offshore races, you always see a ton of spectators there to enjoy the race! :-) I think more people might come out, get excited, & maybe want to enter the race in the future if there was more specific information letting them know things like when they can come & see the boats, meet & talk with the racers, etc. What's the parking situation at the marina? Nearby restaurants? What about watching the race? Are there any good spots to watch from shore or do you need to get out in a boat to really see the race. If any people who attended last year have any information like this that might help someone coming for the first time, it would be great if you could post it. My boat needs way too much work to be able to enter it in the race this year, but I sure would like to come out and support & enjoy the race! Best of Luck to all the racers!!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

This might help, when I signed up to race in 02 for Mike A. running Apba races this was the cost. boat 500, 250 per racer in boat. thats a grand now you go to a race its 500 to run each one. what you got was a pre race dinner party, then after the race you got trophies and in some cases a check. there were dry pits and wet also YOU HAD TO BUY GAS AT THE DRY PITS. this is a long race not a 60 mile race but a 270. costs are everywhere I would think with a race that is 1 lap over a large area. medical teams standing by, insurance another gps. I won't make it cause of having to stop 3 times for fuel will kill my time maybe next year I hope to have a second tank made over the winter so I will only have to stop once for fuel next year. pokerruns are different most run 50 to 70 mph well if you have a turbine skater 140 . the opa racers are great because they only charge at the start of the season about a 1000. plus you need there gps one time fee of 475 I think. oh another reason I won't race this year is we will be just breaking it innext week the saber28. for me I figure its a 3000 to run it with gas food and hotel. I am going to look for a sponsor this winter so I can do a few races next year. good luck to everyone be safe.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TnMike
Hello,

Just a suggestion, but how about posting some more information for the spectators, people who are not racing a boat but would like to come out & see the race & support this event? I've searched for other posts & checked the NPBA site, but find very little information that addresses this specifically. When I watch the videos of all those old offshore races, you always see a ton of spectators there to enjoy the race! :-) I think more people might come out, get excited, & maybe want to enter the race in the future if there was more specific information letting them know things like when they can come & see the boats, meet & talk with the racers, etc. What's the parking situation at the marina? Nearby restaurants? What about watching the race? Are there any good spots to watch from shore or do you need to get out in a boat to really see the race. If any people who attended last year have any information like this that might help someone coming for the first time, it would be great if you could post it. My boat needs way too much work to be able to enter it in the race this year, but I sure would like to come out and support & enjoy the race! Best of Luck to all the racers!!

If you go to the NPBA site www.nationalpowerboat.com And click on the Don Aronow race, you will see the Google photo of the Manhasset Bay Marina. It has a large parking lot and plenty of dock space. As you scroll down, there is day and time of each event and where they are to be held. Plenty of opportunity to meet the drivers and crews.

Further on are the satellite photos of the course. If you are on a boat, the best place for the most action will be off Montauk or anywhere between Orient Pt and Montauk.

If you are on land there are plenty of spots around the NYC area, as you can see from the photos. The starting point and finsh line are both good areas to see the boats together when they start are straggle in at the end.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TnMike
Hello,

This event is being held at Manhasset Bay Marina/LaMotta's in Port Washington NY. You can see the marina's website here:

http://www.manhassetbaymarina.com/Welcome_to_MBM.html

And here is the website for LaMotta's:

http://www.lamottas.net/

The parking lot at the marina has plenty of space. There is usually more then enough space. If not, there is some parking on the street. Keep in mind, that some teams might keep their tow rigs and trailers in the parking lot, so make sure to leave room for them.

The boats will dock at this marina, and you will be able to come down and view them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching the START of the race: It takes a little time to get out to the outer bay and then finally to the long island sound where they will take off....but if you bring your own boat you can follow them out and watch them take off from a safe distance. For those who DO NOT have a boat, it will be hard to watch the race. I am unsure of areas where you can watch from the shore. Picture shown is Long Island Sound with City Island in background.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picture above is outer bay^

As TopBananna said, "best place for the most action will be off Montauk or anywhere between Orient Pt and Montauk"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone needs further help or questions....I know the marina and the bay fairly well, just ask.

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 09-15-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Notice whose boat is out front in the second picture.

I believe it was out front at the end of the race also.
You have a good memory old man!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crickets Chirping!

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
How many boats are entered, paid and ready to go?
Based on the silence, I fear this guy might be right!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what some here were doing in 1981......or if they were even born yet?

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtWDywAXZY&[/Youtube]

Personally I miss the 80s, what a BLAST!! Safe Sex w/o practicing Safe Sex, Cheap Safe Drugs, Fast Women, Fast Cars, Fast Boats and OFFSHORE RACING ON TV!!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
I wonder what some here were doing in 1981......or if they were even born yet?
seriously, i dont know what they where doing in 1981 but i know what they are not doing in 2011 and its maning up and going racing.

its busting people's balls that what to have a race and go racing. not only that they show total lack of respect for the sport and its hero's.

they sound like a bunch of crybaby bankers to me.

Last edited by wanab; 09-16-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
How many boats are entered, paid and ready to go?
If they want an audience, this question should be answered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.