Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can I Explore Bob-Lo Island? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262268-can-i-explore-bob-lo-island.html)

thirdchildhood 09-13-2011 09:43 PM

Can I Explore Bob-Lo Island?

I am an American, Bob-Lo (Bois Blanc) Island is in Canadian waters. There are ruins of the old amusement park still there and I want to tie up at the little harbor and explore it. Has anyone done this?

dbkski 09-13-2011 11:10 PM

I was there in '08. There was a customs lady right at the end of the
dock. I showed my driver's license and went on my way.

thirdchildhood 09-14-2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by dbkski (Post 3502977)
I was there in '08. There was a customs lady right at the end of the
dock. I showed my driver's license and went on my way.

Was she just there or did you call? Did you walk around the island? No one ever needed to show ID to go to the amusement park. Most people didn't even know it was in Canada since it was all Americans and American cash AFAICR.

POWERPLAY J 09-14-2011 06:33 AM

You have to call. It's up to them weather they send someone out. Yes you can walk the island. Free ferry rides to the mainland also.

thirdchildhood 09-14-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J (Post 3503057)
You have to call. It's up to them weather they send someone out. Yes you can walk the island. Free ferry rides to the mainland also.

OK, thanks. I will check in with customs first.

bill63 09-14-2011 08:03 AM

No problem, dock at the boblo harbor call in at the restaurant and go exploring. Not much too see though except large homes. One ride is left and the hall is still there.

TWIN-SPINS 09-14-2011 08:35 AM

good meeting you guys,,,how did your friends in the nor-tech like the run,,,was that there first

???

thirdchildhood 09-14-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by bill63 (Post 3503110)
No problem, dock at the boblo harbor call in at the restaurant and go exploring. Not much too see though except large homes. One ride is left and the hall is still there.

OK. I know the original landing dock is still there too. Didn't know there was a restaurant. I will eat there and that will be my reason for going ashore! Thanks.

glassdave 09-14-2011 09:16 AM

so there are houses out there now? I dont know much about the history of the place other then its an old closed amusement park, or whats left of it any way. Is the island being developed? Since i was a kid and ran my little 16 Lymann out to West Sister in Erie i have wanted to take a day and explore that island.

thirdchildhood 09-14-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3503178)
so there are houses out there now? I dont know much about the history of the place other then its an old closed amusement park, or whats left of it any way. Is the island being developed? Since i was a kid and ran my little 16 Lymann out to West Sister in Erie i have wanted to take a day and explore that island.

The island was supposed to be completely developed but the economy tanked so there is a small housing development and the old amusement park was never fully demolished.