Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
RIP Sonic (Warning ugly photos) >

RIP Sonic (Warning ugly photos)

Notices

RIP Sonic (Warning ugly photos)

Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The SE was a great model. We built many in the early 80's. If your's was an 86' it may have been the last 33/ SE built. In 86 Jay was focused on the 41's. Great boat... sorry for your loss. Ironically, back in the day we used to haul all of the sonics with Jay's short Ford Bronco. Granted, it was just around town.

As far as your Ace trailer. It's the best on the market in my opinion. Hope you sort it all out man.

T
Old 09-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I agree, has anyone personally actually had a claim denied because of this reason here?
+1

Not suggested its ok or a good idea to tow with an insufficient vehicle but I'm not sure why everyone acts like its a done deal that the insurance isn't going to pay up. I personally know of one accident that involved a bigger boat than this being towed by a half ton truck and there were no insurance issues. Not saying it can't happen but I lean more towards the insurance having to pay.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you from experience if this is wind related insurance should cover it under Comprehensive. Good luck. I feel your pain.

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc

Last edited by vagrant; 09-16-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I agree, has anyone personally actually had a claim denied because of this reason here?
Always sounded like an ol wives tale to me.. or some no name insurance company.
YUP and you need a F550 to tow jet skis otherwise you are unsafe.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are alot of people that tow their toys with vehicles that dont have the proper weight rating. Can it be done, yes, is it done: yes-everyday, Is it the smart thing to do- no.

However better to be safe than sorry and use a vehicle rated to do so. Even if the rating sticker placed there by the manufacturer doesnt accurately reflect the real capacity, Atleast your protected on your end, as you were compliant based upon what the vehicle manufacturer claimed.

I would bet some smart lawyer for an insurance company could make a go of it ( under rated vehicle ) as not being rated to tow the weight a vehicle was towing, lord forbid, especially if a fatality was involved. Someone is going to get toasted over the coals.

Bottom line, there are alot of scenarios. Why open yourself up to the possibility of a claim being denied, or worse.

Just sayin...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's wind related the vehicle want matter. But you should have the right tow vehicle for the load you are hauling.

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

I know of 16 late model used dually's for sale!!!! Gm and ford....
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatnt
may I ask how you guys know it was the trucks fault???
No one is claiming the truck is at fault. the undersized truck represents an "out" for the insurance company in some arguments.

My question is, does the sale state FOB Shipping Point or FOB Destination?

Originally Posted by vagrant
I can tell you from experience if this is wind related insurance should cover it under Comprihencsive. Good luck. I feel your pain.
Jimminy Christmas. Try spell check
Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
There are alot of people that tow their toys with vehicles that dont have the proper weight rating. Can it be done, yes, is it done: yes-everyday, Is it the smart thing to do- no.

However better to be safe than sorry and use a vehicle rated to do so. Even if the rating sticker placed there by the manufacturer doesnt accurately reflect the real capacity, Atleast your protected on your end, as you were compliant based upon what the vehicle manufacturer claimed.

I would bet some smart lawyer for an insurance company could make a go of it ( under rated vehicle ) as not being rated to tow the weight a vehicle was towing, lord forbid, especially if a fatality was involved. Someone is going to get toasted over the coals.

Bottom line, there are alot of scenarios. Why open yourself up to the possibility of a claim being denied, or worse.

Just sayin...
i think your right on with that statement.a good,slick lawyer will ask what the towing weight of the truck is and from there its going to be a downhill slide.i think that is going to be aissue thats hard to denie.just my 2cents
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why take a chance with a light light vehicle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.