Possible Restoration Project >

Possible Restoration Project

Notices

Possible Restoration Project

Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Restoration Project

My neighbor has a friend who's 1999 25' Regal Bowrider sank last summer at her dock in Annapolis from a torn bellow. She is willing to give the boat away for free. It's at a Marina now, and I don't know the condition, I believe it was under for about 24hrs.

Hull:
Are there certain aspects of the hull that would not make it worth it? What would I check and how?

Engine:
Is it even salvagable if it's not seized? How do you tell, bring a wrench and try to turn the from the crank bolt?

Electronics/Gauges:
I'm guessing they will all have to be replaced.

If anyone has experience with type of thing please drop me a line.

thanx
Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Quite honestly, if it's been sitting that long after it sank, it's junk - even for free. Even if the marina pickled the engine right away, everything electrical is junk along with the upholstery, headliner, controls, etc. There's a reason it's free, and it's not a good one. Just my 2 cents having pulled more than a few from the bottom - and that's in fresh water.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

I disagree with the statement that it is not worth it or it is junk. Obviously not the best scenario for any boat but if you take the time and separate all of the interior from the foam it will dry and all of the wiring is going to be good but yes you might have to replace some of the electronics but not always. And as for the engine that’s a tossup the last boat I did like this it was easier to replace the engine but the first sunken boat that I resurrected worked fine and still works fine to this day.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Hammerhead sat under salt water for a couple of days.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Yes but that was almost a total rebuild, I don't know if I could re-rig a boat like this on the cheap and still sell it to equal all the effort that goes into it. And I don't think there is such a thing as doing a rebuild "on the cheap"

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Hammerhead sat under salt water for a couple of days.

Last edited by bert4332; 10-14-2011 at 11:29 PM.