Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012 >

Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012

Notices

Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012

Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they stay with radar, then it needs to be set up to record the speed as the boat goes thru the bouys at the end of the course.

Recording top speed 100,200,300 feet from the end is not right. Some boats are still gaining speed until the exact end of the course. It is very clear that is the case with the 200 plus mph boats. A boat that does 160 is usually at top speed before the end of a mile....
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
If they stay with radar, then it needs to be set up to record the speed as the boat goes thru the bouys at the end of the course.

Recording top speed 100,200,300 feet from the end is not right. Some boats are still gaining speed until the exact end of the course. It is very clear that is the case with the 200 plus mph boats. A boat that does 160 is usually at top speed before the end of a mile....
Excellent points, especially regarding 160-mph boats.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Excellent points, especially regarding 160-mph boats.
Look at these two companies and put one of their products in the "fast" boats (ones over 150mph).

http://www.race-technology.com/

http://www.vboxusa.com/products.php

Both offer very good accuracy and can use telemetry so the race judges can see the speeds real time. Both would yield the exact speed at any point along the run and therefore things like starting line speed would be precisely recorded. They also would allow for the drivers to be timed at the end of a full mile.

Both companies have long histories and experience with the speeds we are talking about. I don't work for either company, but I have several products from both companies in my labs.

The measurements for the shootout are a piece of cake, in the world of vehicle measurements. No reason they shouldn't have the accuracy and precision down to a knats you-know-what.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
I've always suggested they use a timing light trap like the drag boat race courses.
Comment:

This is the correct solution period.

Using the handed down system of radar guns.... hanging on a boom is old school redneck technology.

Drag boats have been using this sytem for a long time very accurate down to 100k of a second.

It is not expensive to purchase or setup and can record time from start to finish. Salesmanships referral should be considered before going out and buying radar equipment.

Ron always is looking to make the event bigger and better for everyone. Plus, he wants those monster numbers posting up like 221MPH.... it makes the event a much bigger draw.

KAP
Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

I agree...get the right shiznit and call it good.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I think that timing traps need to be fixed. It ios easy to do at the drag strip for cars, and in shallower water, it can also be done for drag boats as they can be solidly driven into the ground. At the Shootout, the water is too deep to stake the traps for no movement, and the banks are too far apart to afix the traps to them. Mounting them on some type of a barge would also not work because of the movement of being on the water. That said, radar is still probably the best way, they just need an upgraded system.

Ron Duggan is a class act and a smart guy. I am sure that he has looked at every possible option and he has chosen the one that best fits the needs of the Shootout.

Watch out for some huge speeds next year! Maybe Nauti Marine will dust off those alky engines and make some passes!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I thought Dave Scott paid to have a kilo course setup at LOTO at one time? Or do I need to lay the pipe down?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I thought Dave Scott paid to have a kilo course setup at LOTO at one time? Or do I need to lay the pipe down?
About 7 or 8 years ago. At least the one I know of.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 36Tango
Watch out for some huge speeds next year! Maybe Nauti Marine will dust off those alky engines and make some passes!
I'll be surprised if Dave runs next year, but I definitely hope he does.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 36Tango
I think that timing traps need to be fixed. It ios easy to do at the drag strip for cars, and in shallower water, it can also be done for drag boats as they can be solidly driven into the ground. At the Shootout, the water is too deep to stake the traps for no movement, and the banks are too far apart to afix the traps to them. Mounting them on some type of a barge would also not work because of the movement of being on the water. That said, radar is still probably the best way, they just need an upgraded system.

Ron Duggan is a class act and a smart guy. I am sure that he has looked at every possible option and he has chosen the one that best fits the needs of the Shootout.

Comment:

Good points however, the Hurricane Deck Bridge is stationary and the traps can be setup on either side of the pilings.

If using the bridge is not an option a cement base with pole could be craned in and it would definitely work. The drag boats sometimes hit the light trap units when they get sideways..... and they usually have them on some flimsy stake for that reason. It could have a solid base with the last few feet being a break away material.

Ron Duggan is a class act and a friend! I hope and trust he
figures it out for 2012, it would reduce all the griping and make his job much easier. Plus, those big numbers would really set some benchmarks for the following years to come.

KAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.