Voltage guage jumps  when load applied?? >

Voltage guage jumps when load applied??

Notices

Voltage guage jumps when load applied??

Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 290enticer
all my boats in the past had 1 switch, how is this incorrect?? It has the switch that was installed at the factory
if you have a twin engine boat with two batteries the correct way to wire it is with two switches

PowerQuest is know to built good strong hulls...wiring is another story
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
if you have a twin engine boat with two batteries the correct way to wire it is with two switches
X2
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a slight issue with my volt gauges too... Mine just don't read properly. Bad connection, bad gauge, or bad ground? I test the alts at the hot wire coming off of them and it's 14v+, the gauge reads 10v, both batteries are brand new. I even upgraded and replaced on alt and upgraded the hot wire to an 8 gauge wire. Suggestions? I'd just like the gauges to read right, so I know if I ever really have an issue.

While we're on the subject of battery switches... Does anyone use a battery isolator? And are they worth while? I had an issue last season with one of my batteries being bad and killing the other. Would an isolator fixed that issue?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't grasp the idea of having two batt switches and be able to do the same thing i can do with one, i can select or deselect each individual batt. Can you draw me out a diagram so i can better understand the use of two batt switches. I probably will run the new ground circuit but probably not gonna change the complete batt cable set-up for everything is already ran, cut to length and routed very nice??? Dont mean to me a hard-head just don't see how two is better than one. If you have two batt switches, are they just on/off? My guages seam to read correct though, thats not the problem, just curous why both don't jump....only starboard. The wiring harness comes off that engine, I have followed it back, it don't run over to port...(dont look like it)?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Registered

wjb21ndtown...sounds like you have high resistance in ur guage circuit...probably high voltage drop somewhere? I would pull ur ip and look for some crimp connectors that are corroded...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

You have two motors and two batteries. One battery for each motor. They are separate. Each battery should have its own switch. If one battery is low or dead you can turn that switch to both or all and pull from the other side. By running on "both" for an extended period you will ruin an altenator.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

I just had to replace one alt cause it was dead! Im looking at the blue sea dual circuit plus batt switch, this will keep them seperate but give me the option to combine if needed. I think this switch has four posts so I don't have to change all my cables around, just refigure them on the back..
Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 290enticer
Im looking at the blue sea dual circuit plus batt switch,..
That's the switch you need. Simple and does the same thing as 2 switches. I installed one in my cruiser do to it's simplicity.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered

ordered it today via amazon @ 43.95 Its on the way. Thanks guys!