Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012 >

Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012

Notices

Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012

Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
For being such a business savvy guy...You are anything but.

In my young 25 years of existence, I have never seen an organization/business put down potential participants/customers like you have in this thread. i.e. "Hey, you guys all suck and arent true boaters but can you still come to my event anyways?" GET REAL.

Honestly, I am sorry people werent interested in your event but instead of name calling you should open your eyes and do something different next year. the attendance was poor last year. its poor again this year...guess what einstein its going to be bad next year; unless you do something about it. try:

1. adjusting the entry fee
2. including food, t shirts, etc
3. giving the participants a reason to win (money, goods, gift certificates, etc)
4. making it a 2 day event
5. marketing it to a broader audience
6. provide a free "sea tow" service to all participants (im sure many are affraid of getting stuck)

For many boaters, times are tough and adjusting to the economy is a tricky/fickle task. After all arent you trying to appeal to a person like me. Take my word for it...If you dont, i fear we will be having the same conversation next year. dont let me say "i told you so".

Good luck next year, hope everything works out for the best.
Have to agree w items 1 thru 6.
Its now clearly evident that the past couple races were flops, so I guess something isnt attracting racers.
Maybe some of these little perks would help lure people.

Dont agree w disrespect to promoters, these guys are seasoned vets and well rooted in offshore. Think that deserves a little respect weather or not u like them personally.

Dont think age matters on this one guys. Its pretty evident that something is wrong with only 2 entries.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont misunderstand this post because I have all the respect in the world for anyone that would want to do this.

But its hard to attract a crowd at the event when the people that wish to do this are showing up in 19-26 ft boats.

The interest wanes when no showstoppers or headliners arent in the mix.

It is what it is for those that like the challenge , so maybe it will never be a huge event and remains something that attracts the entrants solely.

Last years results is a good example of what my point means. A fabulous story and great for the winner.
Huge respect for the owner and navigator but something more for their personal satisfaction rather than something that would draw a huge event crowd.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
What makes you think wanab has any association with Billy or Charlie??
Perhaps it's because in 6 years of membership, 17 out of his 18 posts are in the two threads regarding the subject race.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As far as the race is concerned, I'm not surprised by the cancellation. I mean all due respect for those who were interested in participating, but come on, let's face it: When you're practically begging and pleading 11 days before the race for more entrants, it's not looking too good.

Since the get-go, there's been no fanfare, no hype, no energy surrounding the event. I barely even noticed the thread until a couple days ago. And it it weren't for OSO, how would you even know this event existed? What does this race mean to anyone other than this very small, tight-knit group?

Last edited by CigDaze; 09-20-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wanab
offshore only?

more like onshore only.

once again the americans look like the sad sacs they are.
You sir, can kindly go phuck yourself with your anti-American sentiments. This not about being American or not, this is not about offshore or onshore, nor is this about machismo nor bravado. This has to do with pizz-poorly managed race promotion (or the lack thereof) and pizz-poor timing. Most amateurs are either preparing for winter and trying to maximize the last few remaining nice weekends with their families, and those racers who race professionally are most certainly deeply engaged in their primary sanctioning body's points race as the season-end championships are quickly approaching. It's a shame you're disappointed by the cancellation, but your blame is misplaced.

Last edited by CigDaze; 09-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OceanNavigator
To say I am disheartened at the recent cancelation of the around long island race would be putting it mildly. First of all I feel horrible for all those owners who had to scrape together the funds to run this race. All the owners to put blood, sweat and tears into their respective boats to make it possible to safely run this race. The navigators who planned, re-planned and over planned every aspect of the race. The spectators who were looking forward to watching the race and supporting the grass roots teams who were going to give it their all and the professional teams who were going to put on a real showing. Last but not least to the families of all these people who gave up weekends and family time to allow their race enthusiast to follow a dream. I won’t even go into the amount of time and money spent to prepare for this race.

I’m disappointed in the lack of preplanning and forethought that has clearly been exhibited in this decision. If a lack of entrants is to blame than the organizers should have required preregistration X days before the event. The organizers should have had real racing instructions. The organizers should have shown a clear intent to run this race and should have incented early and active participation from the community. I can go on and on with all the planning and forethought that was missed but that would not put the race back on.

To the organizers: when you offer a race like this you are taking on a responsibility greater than financial. You are taking ownership to run this race as professionally and safely as possible. You are to communicate early and often if you expect the same in return. If you want to be treated like professional organizers than you need to act like it. A little planning and communication will go a long way. As a word of advice I recommend not blaming those who were planning on entering the race as you did not require anything in advance nor did you even ask for it.

The ghosts of those legends who have run these waters are all shaking their heads in disappointment. I never had the honor of meeting Don Aronow however this is no way to memorialize a legend. This is no way to start real racing in the United States and this is no way to build a reputation as a race organizer and not a poker run planner. This decision is not consistent with offshore racing, its amateur hour.

Respectfully,
Jonathan Tobin, Navigator
30'Sonic 30SS "Team Sonic" (Winner 2010 Don Aronow Memorial Marathon)
Brilliant post. I wholeheartedly agree and sympathize with you guys.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Dont misunderstand this post because I have all the respect in the world for anyone that would want to do this.

But its hard to attract a crowd at the event when the people that wish to do this are showing up in 19-26 ft boats.

The interest wanes when no showstoppers or headliners arent in the mix.

It is what it is for those that like the challenge , so maybe it will never be a huge event and remains something that attracts the entrants solely.

Last years results is a good example of what my point means. A fabulous story and great for the winner.
Huge respect for the owner and navigator but something more for their personal satisfaction rather than something that would draw a huge event crowd.
I agree i would love to do it but i have a 21 ft boat, what are my chances really. they have to put it on for the love of the sport not how much whos going to make off of it,
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

What was the entry fee?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
What was the entry fee?
Think it was $1000......
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, $1k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.