Notices

Accident in ocean city

Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Going 50mph and making a slight turn.........I fail to see how this will cause a boat to slide, stepped hull or not. Cause if this where the case, that boat has gotta be a handfull to drive at anything over idle speed.
I think the problem is everyone is going to have a different opinion of what a "Slight Turn" is....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN6dNUP5Sc[/youtube]
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by comp
Sorry to read about your accident. It is awesome that everyone is ok you can always buy another boat.

I had steering failure with our 95 topgun 2 years ago and hit the sea wall in A C. ( walls dont move ) 6 people on board, low speed, sunny day and smooth water. It was not a fun day. Luckily everyone was ok and in the end, I was glad not to hit another boat.
I was fortunate to have an awesome insurance agent that walked me thru the entire claim process. At the end of the process, the boat was totaled and sold thru a salvage company
Good luck with your claim, hopefully you have a good insurance agent and company.

It sure does scare me now about the possibility of losing steering. What maintenance is necessary on hydraulic steering to prevent this from happening? I don't want to even think of this going thru the East River one day
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Just a little info to keep everyone updated. My insurance adjuster was out. The problem seems to be in the helm itself. The wheel spins freely and nothing moves in the stern. The fluid has no water intrusion and no loss of fluid in the reservoir. The problem was documented with the boat while it was still sitting at sea tow after the accident.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Wow. That is scary. Glad everyone is OK. Could have been much worse.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
.... The problem was documented with the boat while it was still sitting at sea tow after the accident.

That makes it alot clearer and questionable free. Good Luck on your claim
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
Hey guys. Just a little info to keep everyone updated. My insurance adjuster was out. The problem seems to be in the helm itself. The wheel spins freely and nothing moves in the stern. The fluid has no water intrusion and no loss of fluid in the reservoir. The problem was documented with the boat while it was still sitting at sea tow after the accident.
Would be interesting to know how this equates to a "hook and roll"? Do the drives move freely, or are the cylinders still doing their job?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
Would be interesting to know how this equates to a "hook and roll"? Do the drives move freely, or are the cylinders still doing their job?
Without loss of pressure shouldn't the drives be stuck in position at time of failure at helm?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
everyone involved had every kind of insurance you could get. Boat policys, med policys, home owners, etc . . . if i remember, everyones insurance was pointing at everyone elses police to pay. Boat ins didnt want to pay because driver wasnt listed. driver wanted his ins to pay but he was not on his boat. Owners boat ins wanted personal med ins to pick up tab blah blah blah. Came down to a lot of wasted layer money from everyone trying to avoid paying. HUGE mess and in the end it ended up being what they were trying to push through in the first place or something like that. He's on the board here maybe he'll chime in.
All can say is American Family Inc is the best and covered the whole deal after three years of legal BS
Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
I think the problem is everyone is going to have a different opinion of what a "Slight Turn" is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN6dNUP5Sc
It sure doesn't help when the throttle man pulls the sticks back in the turn.